Outrageous Price Quote

Nah, just sifting out the cheapskates.

6 Likes

Talk about a manipulative statement by customer. Designed to create intense fear, insecurity and confusion in you and lower your prices. For whose benefit? The one making the statement? :thinking:

And who are these so called people spreading the word on what “the market” is? How do they have a handle on that, lol? Additionally, that statement suggests that you will never get another estimate accepted at your current rates. Does that seem to be a reasonable premise or not?

The “market” is determined one customer at a time, one quote at a time. It’s a myth. Either they say yes or no and you move on, either collecting their check or collecting it from the next yes, which will always exist. You know your numbers best so do what you need to do to stay profitable.

12 Likes

If you are booked out 3 weeks, I’d say the street is telling tales.
BTW - I thought your price was very reasonable.

7 Likes

I agree strongly with @TheWindowCleanse. “Word on the street” is proly one other person he bantered with. Like seriously, how in the world is a non-window cleaner so intimately acquainted with the window cleaning market?? It’s hard enough even when you’re actually in the industry. Besides your estimate to him, does he have any idea what your other prices are to anyone else, and what the competition bid on those same jobs? Does he know what exactly you offer compared to what the rest of the market offers? Does he have actual numbers to back up his claims? Is the quality of your work and the entire experience the same? He doesn’t and can’t know those things. So his opinion is totally bogus.

There’s a reason there are cheap watches and there’s a reason there are expensive ones and people buy whatever they want for whatever price they want for whatever reason they want. Is your competition cheaper? Maybe. But maybe their quality sucks. I would disregard that comment and not worry unless you stop being able to land jobs.

1 Like

Which won’t happen, I will add.

@Steve

That statement really piques my interest. Do you mind if I ask what the context of that was?

I do a fair number of these types of set ups here in the mountains. I started to time myself to gauge the best way to price this. If you take away the fireplace and the CCU aspect I think I could get this done in/out in about three hours. That’s using a stack with a good bit of experience but I also know I’m not the fastest guy.

I have one house that instead of the fireplace there is the pipe from a wood burning stove going from the floor to the ceiling. I don’t have to worry about reaching behind it but it is hell moving four sections of ladder around it without touching it. With the brick, at least you can rest the ladder on it if need be.

For your pricing questions, I would go from three hours then factor in the extra time for the ccu and fireplace and price it that way. I would have charged less than you but you saw it.

It looks like you priced it as a CCU right.
It appears to be 16 plates of glass.
If your prices were on average $5 each, then 5 x 16 = 80; Inside and out call it $160.
CCU runs around 2.5x to 3x regular price. 160 x 2.5 = $400; x 2.75 = $440.

Don’t fret about it, and word on the street is cheapo’s don’t like to pay full price.

3 Likes

Booked out 3 weeks and pricing yourself out of the market…haha! Maybe you are pricing your self right into the most desirable market. Maybe word on the street is, that customer is a first class a-hole.

3 Likes

Thank you, I thought so too, but I wanted to come here and get some feed back to make sure I’m not the crazy one.

1 Like

That’s what I hope to do but…

My wife is a Realtor and she suggested to a client of hers to have some pressure washing and exterior windows done and the client said something to the effect of “I was going to call your husband but heard he’s pricey.”

Then, I had a customer tell me if I raised my prices one more time she was not going to call me again.

Finally this customer declines my estimate on the CCU because of price.

So, I just want to make sure it them, and not me.

One possible trouble shoot is that your prices were low, thus attracting the price conscious. When you raise them, it effectively repels them. :thinking:

But it will attract a new brand of customer.

Hmm, so you could view it as a rebrand of your company of sorts.

1 Like

Myself, I don’t raise prices much at all. I try to set the price correctly when I estimate the job and leave it as is, regardless of anything else going on. Especially with long standing customers. And with residential customers, I never raise the price. I let the new customers balance things out.

This is exactly what happened a few years ago, now my pricing reflects the experience, professionalism, and customer service that we bring to the table. I went through the painful process of firing a bunch of un-cooperative customers and raising prices on the rest but that was a couple years ago, so that’s why I wanted to check with the other professionals on this forum.

1 Like

I raised my prices a couple of years ago to reflect the level of service that I offer my customers. Most understand and willfully pay it and boast afterwards of how great the windows look; others are more eh, it’s okay. The balance of “wow, they look great” to the “Eh, it looks good” far outweigh my concern of the ones who dicker about the price. If that changes then I will restrategize my pricing.

1 Like

Someone once told me. Your customers will pay as much if not more for the intangible of your business, as much as they will psy for the utility of the service. Meaning: The purpose of what you do, the causes you get behind, and the creative way you serve them always friendly, answering on the first call, etc. This is where you can charge more for your service. If your doing these things you need to charge for.
Some of the best advice I ever got. If you are doing this then you’re in line. If not something to think about.

2 Likes

Been there. I do the same thing. Quote super high and if ya get it, hey at least it’s worth your time. Sometimes they even accept it haha

Chime on old thread…but…I did a lawyer’s house, painted cut ups. I and a helper spent 5 days on ladders scraping paint around cut outs. 500 bucks plus 50 dollar bonus. He saw me a year later and said they got all their windows painted again, and wanted me to clean them. I said 1,400. He passed, I don’t care. I knew the labor intense work it would require.

2 Likes

If you took 5 days with a helper the first time, and you thought it would take the same amount of time this time, you were still way undercharging at that 1400 estimate. Their is easier work out that that pays better.

No offense meant, but I think from what you are saying, you need to get the business side down better. You can be the best and fastest window cleaner in the world, but if your business end sucks, you’ll be like many, looking for another way to make money.

IMO, as a solo operator, you should be shooting for at least 500 per day, 5 days a week. Some can make it fine on less, some need more. Depends on your lifestyle and your “wants”. But regardless, NO ONE should think that 100 a day is livable money when you own a business.

2 Likes

That was 1989. The going rate at that time for help was 5 an hour. I want to work for nice people, how about you? As per the theme of this thread, I was giving an example of knowing to charge more based on previous experience. Thanks

You failed to mention it was a job from a long time ago. I also remember you talking about some recent work here, that you did pretty cheaply. So how was I supposed to know it was 1989 that you did the house?

I’d like to work with nice people, but the reality is, I am selling my services to make money. As long as I am getting the prices I lay out, and they aren’t a bigger PITA than the job pays, I don’t honestly care what kind of people they are. Some of my clients are sociable, some aren’t. I’m fine with it either way.

I am a business owner and a window cleaner. Some will look at you like you are the janitor. I don’t really care. I am happy and secure with who I am. If I wanted to sit around socializing with nice people, I’d spend the day with the people I care about. My business is about making money, at the core. So I readily know I will have people on the list I don’t particularly like. But then, I’m not going to sit down with them for Thanksgiving dinner either. Just cut my check and I’ll be on my way.

:grin:

6 Likes