PolznBladz on Liquidator 'Mods'

Note at 1.30 into the video, shock, he peels the Moerman rubber apart…what brand does that? Yep, Black Diamond. Are you aware that the same manufacturer makes BOTH brands and that the rubber formula on the soft and the hard are IDENTICAL. Moerman specified a slightly different size…larger bulb and a little longer from bulb to cut edge but both are manufactured by Gummifabrikken www.gummifabrikken.com/

Lots of really useful info in here from the Man himself…

4 Likes

He told me that on YouTube. Had no idea!! Crazy.
But personally I have to say that both Moerman and BD wears out fast. I’m not near to have my rubber last as long as Bob. Is that because my technique with the tool sucks? Not necessary. I’ve noticed on the forums that British window cleaners have no complaints on the Moerman rubber.
I think we have different kind of windows based on we’re we live and work.
I can say that if I use Moerman rubber on all kind of type of windows, my rubber last not more then 1-2 days.
I guess that in Britain there’s proper seal on the windows.

1 Like

What sort of handle is he using??

How in the world does he go so long on one rubber? I can maybe go a couple of days maybe a week with an Ettore squeegee but the corners wear out before the edge ever does. On residential I only go about a day and on divided light windows I might not even get through the day before changing the rubber because the corners are gone.

1 Like

It looks like a Moerman quick release handle. Someone tell me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for sharing the video @anon35812390. Thats interesting information about the rubber.

@whatapane I wonder if his rubber and other guys rubber last longer overseas because glass is manufactured different there?!?’'and is more maintained there?!?

@HE_MAN as @JWilliams said it looks like the quick release handle from moerman.

He is working with 3 types: Moermans premium fix handle (20 degree angle), a Ettore handle with 20 degree angle and the Excelerator.

1 Like

That’s my thinking to!

I know John Winters in Germany gets plenty of life out of his rubber and most his jobs go twice a year just like ours here. The manufacturing might be different. Not sure. Again for me it’s more the corners than anything. I think Dan fields, who does construction clean up says his guys go a long time on one rubber as well and he is in California. I’m sure it has a lot to do with the amount of pressure applied.

2 Likes

I know this to be a huge factor in wearing of the rubber.

Though I agree that I could never get a rubber to last that long, when his corners burn out, he trims it and uses it in a smaller channel.

My biggest problems are corners and the divider in my boab wearing the edge down. So maybe if I just worked out of a regular old bucket or a different squeegee holster I could probably double or triple my rubber life

it’s personal preference, a fellow local window cleaner and I were talking one day and we discovered, i change my rubber every day and he changed it about once a month. his rubbers were all chewed up and corners burnt but he kept going. i’m a little ocd, once i feel it wearing a bit too much i change it

3 Likes

For me I don’t see how hugs use rubber like that. When the corners are gone you leave a trail line from the end of the squeegee when you fan the window. I guess they either leave the line (looks like crap), buff it out on every window (waste of time), or they have no clue they are leaving it. I don’t get it. I would love to go a month on one blade. I go through them like candy.

2 Likes

Huge amount of PVC Frames and really nice glass plus in the UK it’s 4-8 weekly so quick soap and light pressure on blade is the go… in NZ I have to say that there is no way I can get that sort of longevity. A few days to a couple of weeks per side on shop frontage is the best i can hope for but quite frankly that’s always been the case. Nearly 40 years ago now I remember posing the question to the guy teaching me ( good old Ettore Brass and rubber) on rubber longevity…his reply?

“Between 1 minute and a week or two, who cares? Add it to the price of the job”. :slight_smile: I’ve never forgotten it.

The exception is Razer Red … it’s almost bulletproof…

6 Likes

He he… cool veteran.
I can see on some of the staff that they need more balance. Some change Rubber daily just as a routine (even if it’s not necessary) and some keep on going with same rubber until you show them some of their windows they cleaned in direct sunlight… then they change :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah same here. I usually change out my rubber every resi day as a matter of course. Once I’m on the job I don’t like to hike back to the truck and break my work flow to swap a rubber.

Fresh piece in the morning and I’ll flip it over at some point throughout the day. I tend to shove my blade hard against the edges so they take a beating on the aluminum frames here in Florida.

1 Like

how long your rubbers last also hugely depend on how much work you do per day x how many days you work. bob has told me he often works only about 3-4 hours per day whereas if your doing 8+ hours his rubber will last twice as long.

3 Likes

Must be nice :expressionless:

1 Like

Charge enough and you can too… :wink:

2 Likes

I think Bob should have shared this video a little sooner, It probably would have saved some folks some hassle.

3 Likes