Price This Christian School Common Area

No. The “Lord’s prayer” as it is knows is the response of Jesus to the question, “teach us to pray.” Jesus then said “after this manner” (or in this way) pray. The Prayer was not intended to be a prayer repeated over and over, since Jesus said in that same passage “And in your prayer do not make use of the same words again and again.”

The “Lord’s prayer” was a pattern for a believer to follow in prayer, thus it starts out “Our Father” meaning we are to recognize God as the father of all things, our highest power or being. Then “Hallowed be thy name” is an example of praise, etc…

Some people have believed that the “Lord’s prayer” should be prayed exactly as stated but there was never any record of Jesus disciples or Apostles doing so in the New Testament. Furthermore, the Bible cautions us to guard against superstitious uses of prayers, charms, or statues.

The Hail Mary idea is a non-biblical tradition only used by Catholics, the Eastern Orthodox, and Anglicans, as far as I know. Most protestants do not recognize the mother of Jesus as having any divine status, therefore do not pray to her or worship her in any way. The “Hail Mary” is also the foundation of the Rosary prayer, used only by Catholics.

I hope that is enough, I won’t go on unless you want to e-mail me for more dialog. Also, please no one accuse me of bashing Catholics, my own mom and dad are Catholic.