Residential Cold Calling

Hey guys, this is my first post. I’ve read a few on this topic and attempted to pm some users but I can’t because I’m under 10 posts, so I figured I’d start by making one.

I’ve tried cold calling residential houses, to middle class neighbourhoods with not much success. I live in Canada, where window cleaning is only practically available half the year, so I do it as a profitable summer job.

My script is as follows: Hey my name’s _____ I’m calling from ________ Window Cleaning, we’re offering free professional window cleaning quotes for the Spring (cause it’s winter), would you happen to be interested?

Any feedback or suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Wait till march/early April. Once the weather starts to change so will people’s attitudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Residential cold calling isn’t rocket science. It is important to have a good script, and to be polite.

Be very careful. If you don’t register with the DO NOT CALL registry, you will be open to possible fines.

Do your research.

Alan Karr
Service Kare
Lead Generation
1-855-416-3141

Hello [MENTION=38812]cartapo[/MENTION] ! I know you can buy lists of the customer with qualifications you may be looking for- once you register with the donotcall - from infoUSA.com. Granted, I don’t know how any of this will apply to Canada and their laws.

With the list you’ll have their address, name, and phone number. Look up their home on google maps, understand their home size and how many windows they have and be ready to give a price. Most homes have between 15 and 20 windows, so create a “package” like “15 screens, tracks and regular windows cleaned inside and out for only $185 *doesn’t include storm windows”

So include a tag line, have a special ready, ask leading questions where the only answer is yes. Never let them say no. Tell them you’ll follow up with a postcard if they don’t schedule at this time.

Then follow up with a letter/postcard covering what you discussed on the phone with the special in writing. Then follow up again 2 weeks later.

So say, “HI there, this is Steve with Beautiful View Window Cleaning - City’s most loved window cleaners. Is this name from list? … How are you today? … We’ve already satisfied dozens of your neighbors and I wanted to let you in on an exclusive window cleaning special if you book by date - 15 regular windows cleaned for only $189. Don’t you agree that clean windows can make your home feel brighter? (Wait for the yes). Now, I’m only offering this special to 15 new clients when would be a good time to schedule your window cleaning?”

Have I done this? No, but it sounded good while writing it! :wink:

^. Only do this if you want people to think you are a used car sales man.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

People aren’t stupid. They will catch on to a script.

Introduce yourself let them know who you are and why you are there, be polite and courteous, acknowledge that you know they weren’t expecting you.

Offer them a free no obligation estimate, If they say no walk away. Don’t push it.

Honestly put your self in their shoes. Imagine someone coming to your home and trying to sell you something, think about what things would be red flags, what would make you listen to them? what would make you want them to leave right away?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Wow, had a feeling posting here would be a good idea. I’m pretty surprised by the amount of great feedback so quick, thanks a lot guys.

Like you said, I hope the snow melting really does change the customer’s mentality, time will tell!

Are we talking about cold calling on the phone or just door knocking? I can respect going door to door with door hangers, talking to people at the door, etc.

A phone call would just piss me off. As a business owner who gets spammed by companies telling me that my free google listing is waiting or that they can save me on my telephone service or hey you cut me off on the highway I get really tired of phone solicitors.

If they ask “is the business owner available” I find myself going through a tunnel. I was talking to a customer and she told the caller “yeah, the owners are never here.” and apparently that works a LOT better than tunnels.

I’d recommend getting some door hangers printed up and canvasing neighborhoods you want to clean in. Knock on the door and if they’re home you can give them a pitch otherwise leave the hanger.

[MENTION=12729]JaredAI[/MENTION] I was talking about calling over the phone. Based on my responses I think you may be on to something with cold phone calling outright pissing people off, personally it doesn’t bother me all that much cause I figure the guys just doing his job, but I cant remember ever accepting or even considering their proposals…

There is nothing more humbling than cold calling. I have never done it on the phone, but have done it door to door. Some days were good, some were bad, but it definitely allows you to hone your pitch and gets you comfortable with handling a little rejection. I personally loathe any advertising phone calls i get, I think that phone sales are becoming a thing of the past.

Have you ever considered doing flyers? When I started my business that is how I got my core customers. You can find the houses off of the beaten path that don’t get a lot of advertising their way. Then do good work and let word of mouth take care of the rest.

My only question to this, is with door hangers, do you enter neighborhoods that have signs posted as “No Soliciting?” I’ve gone door to door with flyers in neighborhoods like this and have only been chased out of one. What’s the consensus on Door Hangers to No Soliciting? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Telemarketing and door-to-door work well together. Telemarket a neighborhood you want. Once you start estimating in that neighborhood, then hand out your flyers.

Alan Karr
Service Kare
Lead Generation
1-855-416-3141

It’s best to be aware of Do Not Call legislation, or hire a professional.

Alan Karr
Service Kare
Lead Generation
1-855-416-3141

I’d prefer not to have telemarketing be an option. I can do door to door all day long. I’m only asking the consensus if others have the notion that flyers/door hangers are considered soliciting. Soliciting to me is selling cookies door to door. Me, I’m offering a free estimate if you’d like a service performed.

Or avoid it altogether.

So you get these calls too? I get them about once or twice a week. You have to give it to these people, they are VERY persistent. and I’ve gone from being extremely frustrated that they kept on calling to asking one of the guys if he had any book recommendations on sales, (because he was good!) I’m telling you there is something to be learned from this telemarketing company that tries to sell “top of the page on google” listing.

Daily, I get:
Your free Google listing is waiting
You have not updated your listing on Yellow Pages
and another one I can’t think of.

These are no-pressure telemarketing calls. As a company we comply with Do Not Call Registry in Canada and the United States.

The Registry is a positive thing because now you don’t have to deal with people who are registered and don’t want the calls. Believe it or not, there are people who want the calls.

It’s not for everybody. We encourage clients to have a good system in place, and to be prepared to offer some sort of discount. We also want clients who have there insurance and branding in place.

If you you have problem selling we offer those services for people who purchase a lead package.

Alan Karr
Service Kare
Lead Generation
1-855-416-3141

Ok, I got it. You work for a company that specializes in telemarketing. I applaud you if that works, but it’s not for me. My question was simple…do residential customers view door hangers as outright solicitation, or is there a variance of opinions? I really don’t care about telemarketing, nor will I ever.

Do your research in your area regarding door hangers. Some gated communities, and cities don’t allow this practice.

If it says No Solicitation, then don’t leave it.

Alan Karr
Service Kare
Lead Generation
1-855-416-3141