Screen repair tutorial from Mark The Window Cleaner

pet mesh cost more to buy and does take more time to roll in. I charge close to twice the amount for it.

Rolling in pet mesh into a door ‘in place’ is very hard. I’ll only do it if that door can’t come off for some reason. You really need a strong surface on the back side of the door when rolling in that stuff. I’ve done so many Pet mesh jobs this last week that my wrist is actually huring me.

That would be very cool Mark for all the people that have thought about adding it to their services and just dont know what tools and supplies to start with!

Thanks for the posting that link Josh

Here are some pics of our setup. The organizers are based on frame size-5/16 and 7/16. Just a 4x8 sheet of plywood with folding banquet table legs installed. There is also an aluminum frame jig. Only thing missing from pics are the power mitre box and drill press for plunger pins. This setup worked great for the majority of the screens we have in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Good Video Mark as always!

And now we know why you got that 2014 Angie’s List Super Service Award, nice work!

Apologies to Chris for not liking/missed his video before…
although YS3’s (?) commentary almost blew my speakers

You have a pleasant, easy to follow, presenting approach.
Good job, man!

Thanks for bumping this up. I’ve got a friend who wants me to redo all his screens. Probably 10-15 screens. I’ve been thinking about adding this service because the sun chews up all the screens here and it can be a great add on. So I told him I’d do the job this weekend to see how big a pain it’ll be to learn.

Its easy… I offer this service its a nice add-on… Every home I ever go to has at least one torn or sun baked screen. Also its go to know, should one ever tare on you, easy fix instead of paying someone to fix your mistake.

I have 3 different size 600’ rolls of bug 24", 36, and 48". I’ve found these three sizes cover basic screen and door sizes with little waste
i hate foam spline because it deteriorates in our weather so I use abou 5 different sizes of rubber spline
as much as I hate it if ur starting out use the foam it’s easier to work with and go with a larger size foam so it splines tight
spline roller u can get at cr Laurence. The mental roller r for pet screen or sun screen the plastic rollers r for bug screen. If u use a metal roller on bug it has a tendency to cut the screen when u spline it. Razor blade to cut the excess and a flat screw drive to push spline in at the corners.
HERES WHERE THE PROBLEM COMES IN************
when u spline a tall screen or a tall screen door most guys tendto pull the screen to get it tight. When ur pull the screen across the tall side s it tends to bow the screen frame even on sliding doors. Door looks great but when u put it back in u might have bowed it an 1/8" and now the lock won’t catch. On tall window screens when u put them back in there’s gaps on the sides I call it the HOUR GLASS effect. Having a table where u can jig the frame in place so it won’t bow is really key

P.S. Don’t rescreen w aluminum screen it is a pain in the ass and the new brite kote is so weak and I find it tears very very easy

[MENTION=3241]dexter445[/MENTION], you had mentioned you had a table set up in one if the older threads, any chance you can post a pic?

I’m also going to look into a portable setup for my truck.

Sent from my Panasonic VCR. Please set the clock before responding.

Jared let us know how it goes for you on this job.

Re-screening is pretty simple as you can see in the video’s, I have done a few dozen over the last couple years. I like the work and its good to have the ability to re-screen just in case a screen gets torn or bent while out on a residential job especially if you have new guys working for you.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

There’s actually times it might be easier (read: less pain in the ass) to do a quick re-screen than to attempt to clean one.
And yes… sometimes sympathy gets the best of me and I’ll do one just ‘because.’

So for those of you who do this regularly, what does your kit consist of?

I can understand keeping 2 or 3 splines in stock, but there are different corners, different colors, different colors of frame (most frames here are 5/16), then pull tabs, push pins, and springs.

I’m thinking that for my area, I need corners (black and white), splines, and pull tabs. Everything beyond that would necessitate an increase in price since I’ll have to hit the HDepot.

So what do you guys keep on hand or do you just go down to HD and buy what you need when you need it? It would be nice to just be able to knock out a screen while on site, but keeping all that stuff in the truck might be a bit much.

Then if you can knock it out on site, what is your price vs having to make the trip to HD for stuff?

Edit: I did go to one of the local screen places for some pull tabs and holy carp they were busy. The employee was trying to describe the different screens and the customer was just like “whatever, when can you have it done?” and I was just like “Daaaang. This could be a sweet sweet add on.”

I think [MENTION=67]Beautiful View[/MENTION] had a list he posted a while back, but i could be wrong.
[MENTION=3209]SqueegeeNinjaNJ[/MENTION] might have a list.

@JaredAI I would always carry 36" & 48" wide rolls of screen mesh (100ft rolls) along with 3-4 different size spline (.140, .165, .180 .200) spline roller tool, large scissors, tool belt with pouch, Olfa utility knife and blades, needle nose pliers, multi bit screw driver, replacement screen pull tabs (black/white). I carried the spline and bits and pc’s of replacement parts in a Stanley FatMax tool box. Also have a folding table and canvas sheet to work on. Also would keep a roll of Pet mesh 36" in the truck just in case.

What was your price per screen for when you needed to buy the frame material?

Going off the top of my head:

Modified sawhorses with metal loop bike wall hangers on one side (to hold the screen rolls)
Assorted screen rolls (36 and 48 inch)
Assorted spline (.250 foam core is a must for Andersons)
A few box cutters.
Assorted screen corners and clips kits
Sharp, pointy wood carving tool (the name escapes me at the moment)
2 HD screen rollers (don’t get the plastic ones or the Screen Mouse)
Assorted “Sticks” - 8 foot frame pieces.
Assorted HD screen kits - 36 and 48 inch

I have video footage somewhere of my screen setup, if I can find it I will post it here.

Depends on the size, but usually $50 for a half screen and $70+ for a full screen. If I’m doing screens it usually means that I have already done work for the client, so there’s usually wiggle room in the price just to get the work in.

[MENTION=12729]JaredAI[/MENTION]

Here ya go!

[video=youtube_share;EV1hKXjSaD0]Screen Repair Setup - YouTube

Good video Chris, it a nice simple setup for sure.

What size spline is used most in your day to day re-screening?

Good list Mark.