Sectional, Extention, or Little Giant

There needs to be a fair bit of difference in window heights to make adding or removing a section necessary, The sectionals with the V top can be used from below the window on the sill, or from the side of the window on the jamb or the wall.Also when you have 2 windows side by side, you can usually fit the sectional on the spacer between the windows. A V top can be used upside down with ladder mitts on the ends to access windows over stairs .A sectional can be used inside for high foyer windows. Its far easier to find a good set for a sectional as the v top needs a smaller space to lean against, If you use a middle section as the bottom you can dig it into the ground for safety
I prefer the stability of an extension ladder for higher work , but I prefer using the sectrionals below 24ft

I too like the sectional ladder. Mine is a Metallic ladder. I have 4, 6’ sections.

I used to use an 18’ extension ladder. It became a bummer after I started using my sectional ladder.

I like my sectional ladder much better. It fits into more places and is easier and less clumsy to work from.

I don’t understand though some of the guys here explaining that they go higher than 21’ (like the man in the video suggesting to go 45’) as, if theirs is a Metallic ladder, the manufacturer says specifically, and this is copied from their web site - ASSEMBLED LENGTH NOT TO EXCEED 21 FEET.

If you are using another make of ladder to get above 21’ feet please let us know the make. I am interested.

If you are safely stacking more than 21’ feet of Metallic ladder please let us know. I am interested.

I’ve read a lot here about how sectional ladders cannot be adjusted in 1’ increments, however, my WC buddy has an old set (I’m not sure how old) of sectionals that attach to each other in a different way; they have ‘L’ shaped brackets on the higher section that sit on any two rungs of the lower section. As an example, using only two sections you are able to go 6’, 7’, 8’, 9’, etc.
He said that he doesn’t think this style is made anymore.
Do any of you know about this style of sectional and if anyone still makes them.
It’s clear that sectionals are incredibly versatile, but everything I see for sale now isn’t nearly as versatile as these older ones.

Sounds like Denver sectionals. They adjust in 1ft increments and are no longer being made due to lawsuits.

I work out of a CR-v with no roof rack, so I use a werner “Little Giant”. Today I had to get to 10-12 ft exterior windows. The ladder surface was approx 2 ft foot path then a shear drop off from there. I dropped off the “Little Giant” at the office then picked up sectionals. I either set them at angles on eaves and roof trusses or set them on the window jambs. A total job saver. With out those I would’ve had to dig out flat places on the incline I hate doing that. I love the lowest weight allowable aluminium extentions but i don’t have a truck. Ce La Vie

Alaco sectionals (not sold anymore) were able to go higher then the Metallic ladder max, I think 28-29 feet max or so (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I have seen them used at 35 or 37 feet they look like a wet noodle at that height and flex and bounce like crazy. Tony when did Alaco stop making the Denver ladder? Didn’t realize they took them off the market. Alaco has some sort of extension out Extension Ladders

When I got back into window cleaning I had a volkswagen jetta. I used a little giant knockoff until I could buy sectionals. I started with 3 pieces and built up my collection one piece at a time until I had a complete set of five and one half pieces. I think the whole set fit inside the Jetta.

Hey eg,
The sectional ladders are more difficult to set up and take down the higher you go. Back in the day five and one half pieces was considered a set. That’s 29 feet.
They are safe to climb at that height but more difficult to set up. I think all the accidents happen above 4 pieces, 21 feet, because that is when it starts to get challenging for me to set them up. The lawsuits are the problem not the ladder. Inexperienced workers get themselves into trouble and have accidents, then the party with the deepest pockets gets sued. Sectional ladders do take more common sense to use safely and the higher you go the more common sense you need. Just remember one thing. If YOU screw up over 21 feet you won’t be able to blame the ladder company any more because they’ve got themselves covered.

PS
If I had employees I would give them three and one half pieces, that’s 19 feet, for legal reasons. They would also get a 24 foot extension ladder and a 32 footer when needed.

I first heard they were not making them anymore towards the end of 2008.

I hauled around a 32’, with a 20’ stacked on top of it, for years in a Jetta. Had to strap em down good and run a red flag on the end of the 32’, but I never had a problem. I’d just use my dropcloth (a sheet) folded up on the roof, then the ladders centered on top.

…Sectionals look interesting, but a tad pricey for
my tastes.
I probably use my LG knock-off (4’ step - 15’ straight)
more than anything because it is versatile, but
I don’t really like it a lot because it’s heavy and
at 57 I’m getting tired of
lugging heavy stuff.

I also carry a 24’ extention, which is probably my second
‘most used’ ladder, a 32’ extention, rarely used
and only with someone else helping to carry,
a 6’ step ladder, a 3’ folding
2 step. I also have an 8’ step ladder in the shop.
I like them all when they fit the
need and I hate them when they don’t.

Matthew

I use five and a half pieces every day during busy season. I bought my ladders at detroit sponge and use the base with ladder leveler they sell at detroit sponge. I also have locking pins on my ladders and attach them when working with five sections.
I’ve stacked as many as seven sections in the past. The ladders bend alot, and it doesn’t really feel safe though. I don’t do that anymore, although sometimes I will use six a couple times a year. If I can’t reach a window then i use a extension pole.
I can’t imagine using an extension ladder or a little giant as a professionial window cleaner. How do you clean the interior of a second floor skylight?
Customers love my ladders too. Plus it’s cool stacking five sections.

bill
mr b all pro window cleaning
ann arbor, mi

Just a thought on sectional ladder size selection.

I have peeked inside competitors vans and seen 8 foot top sections alot. They seem to be a popular choice. They are usually carried inside a full size van.

So I was thinking, eight foot pieces won’t fit inside the bed of a small pickup, a mini van, or a typical compact car or even a station wagon.

The six foot pieces may be a better choice than 8 foot pieces, because sometimes the owner needs to give a set of sectionals to an employee, in a pinch, to carry in their car or small pick up. The shorter pieces are also easier to carry through a door to do inside work with the pieces upright on your shoulder.

[B]Don’t forget to get a half piece.[/B] You can adjust your ladder height 2 or 3 feet with one of them.

The same way you do, I just bring a amateur ladder into the house.

If it’s one of the plastic “bubble”-style ones, begrudgingly, with a chamois, that’s how. :wink:

What about cleaning the first floor windows?

So much talk about going up to the second and third floor windows we forgot to talk about the first floor. A sectional has a 4 foot, a six foot, and a 9 foot ladder available for the first floor.

I put 2 crutch feet on the prongs of my sectional or just dig them into the dirt.[B] A short ladder with only 2 feet is very handy for working around bushes and sloping landscape.[/B] New England is a very hilly area of the country. Houses are almost never on a flat lot.

I saw a guy with a sawed off extension ladder once. It was about 4 feet tall for setting up under the first floor window sills. He used an old ladder he felt good about sawing down. It had ladder feet and ladder mitts.

I use a 4 foot section of my ladder with ladder mitts over the 2 top rails. :cool:

We used to use cut peices of old extension ladders with mitts on the top. We just use stepladders now for 1st floor, with a Lg style for the really uneven lots.

What do you do close them and lean them against the house?

Pole, 20’ un-extended over the top of the window, or step ladder. I have one of those Werner’s that folds all kinds of funky ways. In my bidding system a first-floor window that requires one of these methods gets counted as a “2nd level” pane of glass anyway.

Gotta admit though, a 4’ sectional comes in quite handy for these tweener windows.

I clean the second floor windows usually(with my unprofessional extention), but when I do firsts I usually close the 6 ft step and lean it on the sill or house. With the 4 ft step I usually work with it open. Each guy seems to do whatever is more comfortable for them.