Shoe odor after getting wet

Sometimes my shoes get a little wet inside. I usually have a pair of backup socks and change them out at lunch in addition to letting the shoes dry as much as possible in the sun. Yesterday, though, they didn’t dry well and i had no backup socks on me. Now my shoes smell terrible. This has happened once before and i just got rid of them cause they were old anyway. I don’t suffer from foot odor and this is only happening when i work a full day in soaked shoes. Do you guys have any tricks that have worked for you to get rid of the smell or better yet prevent it (besides not getting them wet in the first place)?

Walk faster

Baking soda

1 Like

Umm, how are your feet getting wet?

From water

11 Likes

Then don’t splash around in your bucket. :wink:

4 Likes

Big problem in the Midwest. SO many days that the dew soaks my shoes before I’ve done anything.

1. Get good shoes. I use Trail shoes made by Oboz or Merril. You might also consider something waterproof.

2. In the nice weather days, I set my shoes out in the sun for a couple hours at the end of the day. Take the insole out as well.

But what is getting your shoes so wet? Is there a work around that will limit that?

1 Like

A number of things. Dew has been an issue. It’s been raining like crazy this summer so things are just wet in general. Wet landscaping. My screen washer soaks my shoes if I’m not very careful about foot placement. Sometimes i do the screen tap to help dry them and that gets on my shoes. And wfp if im standing very close to the sill on low windows.

Most of the above i usually avoid by being attentive, but yesterday it just got me somehow. I don’t want to throw these shoes out cuz they are practically brand new.

I should mention my shoes are very porous. Not ideal for staying dry, but they are so comfortable, perform near miraculously on roofs, have helped with back pain, and make me more agile and energetic. I know that sounds like a lot for a shoe to accomplish, but they are truly that good. So good that i own three pairs.

2 Likes

Baking soda…apply liberally

2 Likes

Take the insoles out and put them in the sun all weekend. Don’t let them get rained on.

1 Like

Funny, I do the same thing. I like what I like I guess

1 Like

Wouldn’t porous shoes dry better? The style I get are almost like a mesh upper, then they have firm insoles designed for arch support. They don’t stay wet long, but they were designed to be lightweight, durable, and weather-resilient.

1 Like

By the sounds of it these must be the shoes you have?

4 Likes

Become an immpeccable dresser and people will look past your smelly feet.

2 Likes

This is the best tip I can ever give you.
Listen, I’m changing your life here. You ready?
Farm to Feet wool socks. Darn Tough are good, Smart Wool are good. But in my opinion Farm to Feet are the best. Wear wool socks and even though your shoes get wet your feet will not stink and will stay pretty dry. I threw out all my cotton socks years ago and went to wool. Even though they are a little pricey at $15 a pair they have a lifetime warranty. You can turn them in a get a new pair when they wear out and they are not hot like most people think.
Tip number two - Exifico underwear. They change your world. Buy them, wear them. Life Changed. Mic Drop
Joe

4 Likes

Soak in vinegar, rinse and squeeze out excess, then lay them out in full sun over the weekend.

1 Like

Warm in the cool weather and cool in the warm weather. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are siiiiiiiiiiiiick. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hmm… Interesting suggestion. I’m already a preacher of wool clothing. Best thing ever. And i have wool socks for winter, but didn’t think to try ones for summer. Makes perfect sense though! Thank-you, life changed!

Oh, and here’s your mic… You dropped it.

3 Likes

Ha Ha!
You want to know how to stay cool? Always ask a fat guy, We are sweating before the day even starts so we know all the tricks to stay cool.
Joe

2 Likes