Shoulder joint pain and preventative exercises

After a heavy snow and rain filled spring, nice weather is finally here and have been trying to catch up. The problem is, both of my shoulders hurt. Not a muscular pain, but more of a joint pain. I’m going to rest and do some rotator cuff exercises, with a band.

Anyone have a workout routine that addresses the shoulders properly to keep them from hurting? I’ve been neglecting the gym lately, and the knees started hurting from lowers first from storefront work, but now the shoulders are feeling shredded from ladder and squeegee work. Maybe pullups and pushups? Squats and deadlifts? Should I be hitting a tractor tire with a sledge hammer?

Hit the gym do full body work outs break down your work outs into muscle groups.

Drink plenty of fluids (not beer) and make sure your fueling the machine…(this gets over looked during the slow times, then you pay the price when your hustling everyday)

4 Likes

I take turmeric for joint and arthritis pain. It is all natural and it really works.

1 Like

Drink plenty of water as mentioned earlier. Water helps lubricate your joints. Not sure if you drink a lot of carbonated drinks, but those dehydrate you.

1 Like

Look up glucosamine chondroitin / MSM

I usually bring an igloo water jug that drips water on my shirt, and try to finish it, but had a huge 200 window restaurant project on Thursday, and they gave me coke all day. Then they gave me beer and food when I finished. I drank water when I got home, but my shoulders felt snapped off.

I used to take a good bit of msm/glucosamine/chondroitin when I rock-climbed regularly, and it felt like a joint lubricant, but haven’t been lately. I did notice the cow tendon in this pho’ soup I like during winters alleviated my knee pain. I have titanium in my reconstructed right knee and a blown acl and lcl in the left (competitive skiing/racing). I’ll have to start taking that stuff again and eat better. I’ve been exercising less and eating worse since I’ve started this line of work. Fast food, cheesesteaks, pizza… then evening beers to unwind. I need to fuel the machine better. Maybe I should get a wife.

4 Likes

I have been seeing a sports medicine guy in Highlands. Once a month I cleaned the windows at his location and then he works on my muscles and adjustments. He also gives me corrective exercises that help with the aches due to my repetitive motions. Maybe you might be able to work out something like that up in your area. Or if you’d like I can pass his info on to you.

1 Like

That is a big job! Hope you get better soon. Take care of yourself

1 Like

Another long range option would be to add some additional services. Less repetitive stress from your most frequent activities and working different muscle groups in different ranges of motion.

Do some stretching in the morning to loosen up before you leave home.

Do more when you get home.

Also, pay attention to working “in line” and not extending your arms too far to the side. Which shoulder hurts? Is it one you wash with or squeegee with. I’m right handed, so most of the time I squeegee right, soap left. Remember, when soaping you’re using more force. The squeegee is relatively force free. I used to find myself soaping a lot out of line and forcing pressure on my shoulder with it extended at an angle. That isn’t good and it is prime for a repetitive stress injury. Now I try to pay attention to what pressure I feel on my joints based on the position I’m in. I try not to put too much pressure on them when they aren’t in a good position.

This is really important when doing pole work. Pay attention to what angle your shoulders are at. Are you putting a lot of pressure on the joint when it’s out of line? That’s not natural.

Also, periodically switch hands so that it gives your dominant soaping shoulder a little break .

This post may not have made much sense. But listening to my body this way has made a huge difference to me and I wish I would have thought about it years ago BEFORE I started feeling any pain.

2 Likes

One tool, full body.
medicine ball 8 is enough

Remember also, repetitive motions such as we experience in window cleaning, is demanding on the joints. Stretches are good, but also we need to lubricate our joints. Where blood flow easily goes through muscle tissue to help flush out and heal injuries, not so much on joints, tendons, and cartilage. This is why joint injuries take much longer to heal than muscular injuries. Many Sports Doctors advise to alternate heat and ice to speed up the healing process of joints and ligaments. This forces the area to expand and contract which in turn forces the healing affects of blood going through. For your diet you should be adding olive oil in cooking, salads, or mixing in herbs to soak overnight and take with some healthy grain dipping bread as a way of getting it into your blood stream. Drink lots of water too! Glucosamine and Chrondroitin help lubricate joints and promote healthy cartilage too. It can be found rather inexpensively at the health food store or even your local grocer. With a little research you will find quality ones locally to buy.

So, recap:
Stretch - up your olive oil intake - Glucosamine/Chrondroitin (takes about 3 months to feel effects) - drink plenty of water - alternate heat and ice for 10 to 20 minutes at a time for joint pain flare ups.

2 Likes

Both shoulders hurt equally because my most recent big project felt more like a drop, but with ladder work. Side by side windows.

@Garry
I’ve started taking some fish oil that I found in a cupboard yesterday. I’ll be eating those for luch ;-).

Doing mobility work regularly helps me. Check out this video from Kelly Starrett. Tight Shoulders? Clean up your lats. | Feat. Kelly Starrett | MobilityWOD - YouTube
If this video doesn’t cover the pain you’re having, he probably has one that does! His site is mobilitywod.com

1 Like

Supplement with Glucosamine, Chondroitin and vitamin C to promote healthy joint tissue.

Massage and stretch twice every day, morning and night. Yoga and foam rolling are excellent for myofascial release.

Functional strength training with free weights will help immensely. Increased strength makes daily work-related tasks (lifting ladders, carrying water buckets) easier, safer and less jarring to the body.

Proper nutrition, hydration and adequate protein intake will speed up your recovery after exercise and hard work days.

You might also look into acupuncture, acupressure etc. as a means to relieve pain and stress.

If the problems continue even after consistent implementation of the aforementioned methods, you might spring for a blood test to make sure your endocrine system is functioning properly. Severe joint pain can be due to insufficient blood estrogen levels and is a common complaint from women after hysterectomies and bodybuilders taking steroids to suppress estrogen production.

3 Likes

As a veteran of 4 shoulder surgeries I can tell you that tendon impingement is a likely cause. Try to keep your shoulders back, squeezingyour shoulder blades together. Good posture is key. I highly recommend goingto a good physical therapist for long term relief.

1 Like

Kinda reminds me of a video I saw on FB a month ago this guy walked about 50’ with a fully extended (they said it was a 40 but it was clearly a 30’, it was fiberglass ladder), it would have been an effort THE WAY HE HELD THE LADDER, had he held ladder properly its easy,l I’m sure this guy was sore the next day, why he did it to show off how strong he was instead of working smart. point is there may be a better way than the way you are doing it, mainly regarding to ladder handling one that is less stressful on your body. Generally I will always move my ladders fully extended as it saves time unless you have stuff in the way.
You also may need to modify your technique if you have pre-existing injuries.

My right shoulder aches when I push it too hard. It’s probably the most vulnerable joint in your body and we use it all day so protect it.
I see a chiropractor regulatory too. If your spine is straight your nervous system will be working 100%. Our necks take a beating too with wfp work my top 4 vertebrae get the biggest adjustment every visit.