Thanks for the tips and waiver

thanks for the tips on tempered glass and the links to waiver samples.

When I cleaned res. windows in the 90’s, I -never- had an issue. I only cleaned windows for a year, but never scratched any glass. Also, I have cleaned some commercial and retail glass through our janitorial business, and still never had any issues. So, how common is this problem?

Is there a waiver specific to residential, or do you all recommend just using the Dan Fields sample and modify for residential use.

My waiver uses the term client which can be a homeowner or builder. It also bears mentioning that you may not be aware of scratch issues. FD is (in most cases) microscopic and can’t always be heard. There fore the defect could have scratched the glass on a lot of tempered or heat strengthened glass and you would never know it. That’s a big reason to get the waiver signed every time.

Hi

Thanks for sharing this informative information. This is very useful information. Great job.

Thanks
Have a nice time ahead.

Do you have every client sign a waiver when you clean their windows? Residential and business? I pick up residential jobs where some paint splatter is on the windows, not necessarily “construction debris”, so should I be having them sign a waiver for me to clean of the paint?

Every client signs a waiver or we don’t work for them. No waiver, No work.

Tony,
I was just wondering will your waiver hold up in court? Have you had it looked at by a lawyer?

=======================

How many situations have you run into where the waiver saved you?

Merv, what kinda window cleaning do you do ??? I guess u don’t use a scraper ??? Do u leave the paint over spray and all the other crap on the window ??? If your a real window cleaner u will take all this all off !! U can do a large window half wet scrape and the other side not. Back away and u can tell one side will look better !!! On a over cast day isn’t as easy to see but let the sun behind it andevery thing shows up !! Inclueding scratchs !!! This is why we have a waiver !!! You were the last peron to touch the glass so it’s on you for work !!! Not !!to do quality work u should be wet scraping most windows !! The scratchs all come out now !! Where they came from is any bodys guess !! I see scratchs every day but i didn’t do them !!!doses your ins. Pay for that poor work??? Not !! The customer thinks so !! Not !! Yes i know i’m being cute but this is the real world !! It’ts just a mater of time and u will have a claim !!! Yes u will lose work with a waiver but u wouln’t buy any glass either !! It’s a scam !! Signed waiver is a must !! Stan, pro window kleening, 26 years and proud sordo user

I am not trying to make a case against a waiver. I just wondered how many times we might run into it?

How many times have you been threatened by a customer regarding scratches in real iife?

I haven’t done a lot of residential so I don’t fully know what the hazards are.

U don’t get it !! When u wet scrape the glass to get other crap off every things shows up !!! You and the customer can’t see this !! I’ts education of the glass and the customer !! It’s on every piece on glass in one form or other !! It’s better to clean glass on a sunny day !! The call backs are from a overcast day to a sunny day !! When u wet scrape u uncover a lot of things that were there all the time !! The rub is the glass people say u can’t scrape the glass amd the professional window cleaner has a majic wand to remove the over spray !! Right !! Here in the real world theres a lot of crap on glass !!i’m not going to be held lailbel for all the abuse of any glass. Do i wet scrape all glass all the time ??? No , where it’s needed !! Why am i so adment on this glass scrape issue ??? I was sued for this deal on my 18 th year in buss. 2,000 dollars and i had to show my attorney why there is fb on glass. Once she saw that she had fb she won the case for me !! I heard other people with 1,000 of dollars of so called damage !! This is up to you if u wet scrape or have a waiver or not. All i know u damaged my windows and u are going to pay !! Your call !! Stan, pro window kleening, 26 years and proud sorbo user

I have had it looked at she said it will hold up.

I can look at it 2 ways Merv - 1st since it has never been challenged I could say none, however and 2nd I have had one person who refused to sign a waiver and I didn’t do work for them so I could say 100%.
Since I have had it checked by a lawyer and I have never had anyone challenge it and it kept me from working for someone who could have been a lawsuit waiting to happen I’m extremely satisfied that I choose to use the waiver in every situation!:smiley:

Now thats alot of these !!! :smiley: Point made

Hey Tony,
I had it looked at by an attorney who practices in NY and CT says he would find it difficult to be full proof. Guess it would depend on how blood hungry the prosecuting attorney is. :eek:

====================

I almost had a problem once with it with some interior office partitian windows. Somehow I escaped.

I can see your point. Some people are unpredictable. They may decide later to blame you for something they see, so a waiver would be a good thing. It is bound to turn some people off with commercial windows though.

Of course every state is different so you check w/ a local attorney and have them tweak it to protect you in your own state.

I find it safer to go w/ the No waiver, No work approach. :wink:

Stan: At the time the fabricating debris (FD)-related damage occurred, were you utilizing customer education and a signed waiver?

May I take a look at your waiver?

Here’s an example: IWCA - International Window Cleaning Association - Tempered Glass Waiver