The most powerful marketing tool ever!

[SIZE=“4”]LOVE YOUR JOB![/SIZE]

I live in a small town and we have 2 delis. One is uptown and close to my house. The food is amazing at the atmosphere is pleasant. It is in the old part of town and they have nice little tables outside to sit and enjoy the Southern California weather. The only problem with it is that the girl that works behind the counter has the attitude that she would rather have an ovarian cyst removed than wait on you.

The other deli is downtown. It has great food as well but the price is a little more than the uptown deli. But when you walk in the store, Kory the owner greats you with a smile and calls you by name. She works her deli from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm. Exhausting! Yet she always greats you with a smile. She really loves running a deli and is very appreciative of your patronage.

When I first started this business, my guys and I would go out and do an amazing job on the house. Perfect workmanship in every sense of the word. Yet, I wasn’t getting any referrals from them. I thought to myself, “what the hell is wrong with these people? I think that they are all snobs and looking down on me because I clean windows”

Then, one day while sitting down at Kory’s deli and watching her interact with her customers, it hit me. It wasn’t my customers. It was me!!! It was my fault I wasn’t getting the referrals. I had a bad attitude because of my position in life at the time. I wasn’t working in my chosen profession that I had worked so hard all of my life. I wasn’t making the money I was accustomed to, yet, I was doing this because I was forced into it. I had a bad attitude and it showed! I was ****ed off that I had to go around begging for work, as opposed to my previous company where I spent more time turning down work that looking for it. My demeanor sucked and it showed.

So I sat down and looked at all of the things that I was grateful for and how window cleaning could bring me happiness. The list was surprisingly long. From that day forward I loved what I was doing. Cleaning windows is just a job, but meeting great people, seeing the smile on their face when I have completed the work, the challenge of getting more work and making myself well known in the community; all these things motivated me to be a better business person today than I was yesterday.

Suddenly, my phone was blowing up with referrals.

The best marketing tool in the world is free! Love your job and convey that to your customers. Who would you rather have in your home? Someone who is happy to be working for you, or someone who is upset that they had to wake up in the morning?

I was my own worst enemy, but not any more. I LOVE my job!

12 Likes

Great story, Brett.

I agree with you 100% on the power of communicating how much you enjoy what you do, as a marketing tactic.

Can we make this post a ‘sticky’?

Very well put!

2 Likes

Done and agreed!

You are your best tool!

Great post Brett:
I have a book on my shelf the title is Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow. I really enjoy window cleaning. People actually stop to tell me they have noticed that I love what I’m doing. Great post. Thanks.

I think when we are not passionate about what we do
it gives off an aura that seeps into all aspects of our
business.

It’s like a stink that people get a whiff of when they see
our ads or communicate with us.

This has happened to me so I know all too well.

Most times we focus on the struggles in our business
rather than the good stuff. I have had a hell of a lot
of great moments with my window cleaning business.

I have some awesome customers and good friends in the
biz. Don’t allow the problems to rob you of your passion.

Good post

great post! i completely agree, there is a lot to say for working with a smile on your face

1 Like

A positive outlook brings more good things into your life…negativity breeds more negativity…jmo

1 Like

Great attitude! If you don’t mind me asking, what was your chosen profession that you weren’t working in? And how were you forced into window cleaning? I am asking because i myself went to school TWICE for two other career choices and now i am owner/operator of a wc biz myself.

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for encouraging me to maintain a good attitude in front of my customers.

This has got to be a close second[SIZE=“7”]NOT FOR THOSE EASILY OFFENDED BY THE NAKED BODY[/SIZE]
http://www.m2film.dk/fleggaard/trailer2.swf

It takes a lot more effort to be negative then it does to be positive, a smile is addictive and contagious, smile and most people smile back! Great Post!!!

So true!

I think we all know that it’s important to give that smile and positive attitude to our customers, but sometimes it’s easy to forget yourself.

Thanks for the reminder.

man, that’s good stuff!!!

Great Post! Probably one of the most important things for a small biz.

Great outlook on things. I can see why it would help bring more customers as well.

Attitude is king!

This is all so true and I try everyday to keep that good attitude. A bad attitude will also influence your employees in a bad way as well.

Jared Beelsey
Lakeview Window Cleaning