Towels/Rags storage

Thats not a house that a “Resort”…

Boy what different markets we live in!

true divided lights. or “frenchies” if you prefer that.

Gotcha, when I was working on cape cod we did many homes with panes and storms. Still used 1-3 rags a day.

Whatever gets the job done though is what counts. But I was told a few good pointers when I was right window cleaning and they were good habits that I still work by to this day.

1)a good window cleaner uses 2-3 rags a day.
2)when doing panes you want to have a one swipe (exact fit) or two swipe (channel is supposed to be more than half the length you want to swipe) you shouldn’t do more than 2 swipes on residential.
3)never use your rag to dry off your squeegee in between swipes, that’s what your sponge is for.
4)don’t wipe up any excess water on the sill with your rag, the rag is only a detailing tool. Use your sponge for the “big mess”.

There’s plenty more but these “rules” were great because it didn’t allow me to get into any bad habits that will slow me down or cause me to do a less than professional job every time.

Mike Radzik

Pro Window Cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

1 Like

[MENTION=27673]ProWindowCleaning[/MENTION]

good tips. thanks! i think we use microfiber rags the way you use sponges. microfibers for cleaning sills and frames, and wiping your rubber if you need to. i tried sponges before but they always seemed to get lost and i got tired of squeezing them out all the time. maybe i’m just lazy?

i do have to take exception to rule #1 though. we use a lot more than 2-3, and i think we’re pretty good window cleaners. but i get the point behind it. it makes you deliberate and careful of how you do things.

These tips I was told in my first day, I sat at the same 2 double hung 1/1’s for 8 hours learning how to fan and properly detail the window after.

I was also told to never put my detail tab in the glass to fix a streak to get a spot I missed but to do the window again properly. That taught me how to fan properly and not take any short cuts or half ass my work.

Of course as time passed I would hit a spot with my rag if I missed something, but that tip made sure I learned properly before I accepted a less than perfect job and took the way out if I missed something

Mike Radzik

Pro Window Cleaning

Exactly mike one scrim is all you need one for the glass an one for wiping up I don’t use a scrim for sills I use one of those (forget what you call them) I think it’s pvb towl/rag the get really soft when wet then when dry there like cardboard. I bring in a yellow bucket with scrims couple of squeegees an 3-4 bottles of solution and whatever else I need is on my belt which ain’t much

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

^^^^
That’s it brother , once yur done with the window there shouldn’t be much to detail. I always tell my guy stop using yur rag to fix something just redo the window or that spot

Or bronze wool and be done

Nowadays I carry one scrim and a synthetic sponge (I cut in to fit in my hand perfect for wiping my sponge and cleaning up any mess on the sill.

I only use my scrim got detailing and touching up a missed spot. Unless I only have a scrim on hand to wipe up a quick mess.

Mike Radzik

Pro Window Cleaning

That so funny that you said " [COLOR=“#0000CD”]I sat at the same 2 double hung 1/1’s for 8 hours learning how to fan and properly detail the window after[/COLOR]"

Thats the way I was taught to but I was on a 24’ ladder so my calves said you better learn this stuff fast you dumb a**!

That was one clean window…My buddy who taught me his wife said it was the best looking window in the house…LOL!!

Not sure what you mean ? Can you explain

You can touch up spots… “water marks” left by the squeegee with dry piece of steel wool.

Really. I’ve never new that cool, interesting ! Going to try it. I do use my scrim to touch up spots I’m just trying to teach my helper nit to , but I will try the wool pads I have does it work good

Yup if the spot is dry and the steel wools is dry presto magico it be gone!

Doesn’t leave those little pieces on there I’m siting here watching the game now I’m going to have to clean a few windows you got me curious :slight_smile:

sometimes but very rarely.

I rarely need to do it that way…because who need to cleanup after squeegeeing…Not me!

A Scrim will last all day long with a sponge for edging and cleanup tracks. So the few hucks and scrim go in the vech so no container needed.

i can go almost all day with a scrim and i do like working with it. but my guys could take them or leave them and they get lost too easy. it doesn’t really save us any significant time vs. hucks, so i dont push the issue.

I hate scrim. I’ve tried different batches, but they’re a no go. Once in awhile I’ll bring them out for commercial work and that’s it. They leave a ton of very fine lint on the glass, especially when the glass is damaged and rough - it really pulls the fibers off. Also, oxidized vinyl frames out here contaminate rags fairly quickly depending on how bad they are. Easier to one hand a huck than scrim, especially when up a ladder.

You my friend have skills , I use like 10-20 towels a day , And I use a sea sponge . I’ll try and work on that this year.