Triple track storm windows

Here’s a newbie question from a vet. :smiley: What are “triple track storms”? Can someone post a picture?

They STINK! never fun to work with.

The main purpose is for insulation and outside noise reduction.

[CENTER][/IMG][/CENTER]

And here in the Boston area, there are about 100 different varietys
Each works in it’s own special way , and most of the time it,s not how you would expect

about 75% of all our work is triple track storms.

Holy cow.
I would kill myself.
:eek:

I just bid and got a new customer w/ new storms. These are newer style so only double tracks as the screen is in the same track as the upper pane. Triple tracks keep each piece - screen, upper pane, lower pane - in their own track. Not to many left around here except on very old and usually rundown homes.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Some guys like to take the storms out of the window and clean them inside.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Some guys leave them in the tracks and clean them in their tracks, moving them up or down as needed.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I like to take the bottom storm and screen out but the top storm stays in its track. The bottom storm gets the inside surface cleaned while it is back on its track. I can see what I’m doing with better lighting using this method.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Question:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What works best for you on handling triple track storms efficiently?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I work alone, some people work in pairs.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I use my easel. I take them apart and Mrs Squeegee cleans them inside on the easel while I work on the exterior of the house windows, then back inside to finish the inside windows and put the storms back together.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Triple track storms are real pain especially if you work alone.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Since I work alone and want to clean the storms in their tracks I go through the inside of the house and remove the screen and only the bottom storm from each window, and I move the top storm down near the bottom in it’s track. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]On the outside the top storm is already near the down position. I can clean the top sash. Then I clean the outside surface of the top storm and push it up so I can clean the outside bottom sash. I rest the clean screen on the window sill so I can get it later on from the inside.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]From the inside the window gets opened and I grab the clean screen. The top storm comes down and the inside surface gets cleaned and pushed back up. The bottom storm gets the outside surface cleaned on the window sill if practical, with a bath towel in place to protect window ledge surfaces. The storm goes back in its track and the inside surface gets cleaned.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]I like cleaning the storms in their tracks because the lighting is always much better than inside the house. It is also much easier for me to see any errors. I also like to handle them as little as possible, less risk of breakage and injury. [/B][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Once the storms are clean the screen goes in and the window gets closed up. I’m one of those guys who like to clean the inside windows last. Another topic.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Here in CT there are way to many old farmhouses w/ these triple tracks. I pull them all in, clean them on an easel, brush-screwdriver-vac the tracks then reinstall them after the main window is clean. Might not be the most efficient and less time consuming way but its what i am used to and I am happy w/ the results

We pull them inside as well. Our steps are:
1). Pull all storms out first in each room.
2). Clean the interior & exterior of main glass.
3). One guy cleans the storms while the other guy opens main window and installs the storms. Move to the next room and repeat.

Some tips:
*When you are removing the storms initially, stack them on thier sides and clean them that way. This method will keep the cleaning solution from draining into the push buttons that raise the window up and down. This method works great and you dont have to have to be on a first name basis with a carpet cleaner:D.

• Always do the interior main glass first. Triple tracks are usually installed later due to leaky old windows. Leaky old windows will usually leak through to the exterior. This especially sucks when it does it on a second story window.

Those of you that wonder what a triple track storm window is? I wish I could say that!:smiley:

46% of all statistics are made up.

We use some pieces of floor protection we got from one of the builders we’ve worked for. The cleaned storms go on this until they are reinstalled. Plus after each one is cleaned it’s tipped towards one corner to let the majority of the solution drain out into the easel tray.

63% of all people believe this to be true.:wink:

I love statistics. :smiley:

I had to start another pole, on this topic, couldn’t stop myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve cleaned them before. I just didn’t know the terminology for them. Thank goodness I’ve only had to do them a couple times.

A few pics of some Triple Track cleaning. They really are a pain but a system is essential in cleaning them efficiently for both cleanliness and quickly.

Thanks for the pics Dwight - pictures say a thousand words. I’m not envious, looks a right pain of a job - but good money no doubt.

We charge around $15-20 per window if it has six-over-six panes, two storm panes and a screen. Depends on the area.

They are a pain, though.

There really not that bad. We had some today and went pretty good. I had a guy outside and I was inside. Great money too!