Value Propositions can you truly have all three?

Squeak N’ Squeegee Cleaning Experts
Serving the Greater Salem Keizer Area Since 2014

A wise trade professional once said “A window cleaning expert can offer his clients only two (2) of the three (3) value propositions of - Highest Quality, Lowest Price, and Best Service - at the same time. The client can never have all three at once.” If the customer wants the Highest Quality, he / she will have to give up either Lowest Price, or Best Service. To be the “cheapest” window cleaner in our service area, corners MUST be cut somewhere. Lowest Price window cleaners simply cannot match our professionalism, quality, training, experience, and business ethics.

“Those Lowest Priced” window cleaners are typically not covered by workman’s compensation insurance and do not carry general liability insurance. Those “Lowest Priced” competitors who do employ others cannot afford to hire or retain the best journeyman window cleaners. Many don’t pay payroll taxes and under report self-employment income.

We definitely offer the best overall value proposition given our exceptional workmanship, quality, and WOW service. We are confident that our customers believe we are the best at what we do. Moreover, we have the journeyman technician retention to continue servicing our customers in the manner they deserve.

I just can’t come to an understanding that some how anyone can manage to give all three 100%.
The quality of a product is it’s own reward. If you appreciate the work someone does, you want to give them just rewards. I.E; Employee with jerk boss, being paid barely minimum wage, cleaning windows… Well he has a shitty boss, and horrible wages, I wonder how well he will do. Same scenario except nicer boss and double or triple the wages…

I did a job the other day, storm windows, $300.00, took me 3 hours to get it done, wonderfully. That gave me $100 an hour, I worked really hard to ensure every pane was beautiful. Round table store front, 1 hour exterior panes only 54 of them. $50… But I did way less physical work at round table so it evens out.

NOW, lets pretend i worked for someone who decided to pay me $11.00 an hour to do that exact same work, AND I WAS NEVER ONE TO MILK THE CLOCK… It would maybe take me longer based on my mind set, but typically speaking, the average human would see the $11.00 an hour target or even a small wage like $35 once job finished. SO not even hour base wage… And with the final target being minimal in comparison, may not work as hard… I know that the more I charge, the better the job i want to do to ensure i earn that price im getting paid.

If i charged my customers $1.00 a pane vs $7.00 a pane, I would be working a minimum wage job with no drive to be better. If i charged $14.00 per pane i better be glossing those windows over, or giving each windows a tour of the house. lol YOU ARE WORTH HOW EVER HARD YOUR WILLING TO WORK! Cheaper = loss in quality, or service… If you charge too cheap, you lose customer service because at $1.00 an hour vs $100.00 an hour, you have to decide can you afford to get to know the customer? Can you afford to work harder, clean a bit more dirt out of the corners, grab those spider webs, etc etc etc…

Lol on the whole thread!

The answer is absolutely not. The reason is ther will always h someone who is Will ng to compete on price alone. You can’t compete against the price alone guy when you are also concerns with being highest quality and best customer service.

Case closed.

Thanks for starting a new thread.

1 Like

My only issue with his whole thing is that it is based on absolutes. And only Sith Lords speak in absolutes.

Instead of ’ highest quality ’ and ‘cheapest price’, I’d say most on this forum aim for high quality and reasonable pricing.

I could never sell myself to a customer guaranteeing that my quality is better than anyone else. There are a lot of good window cleaners out there. Some of you are my competition- and your pretty darn good. But my quality is high. My pricing is generally pretty good. Some jobs don’t turn over as much as they should, but most do. Many even exceed my targets, so it balances in the end. I’m not the cheapest, and I’m not the highest. I’m right in the middle where I want to be.

Do I leave money on the table at times? Probably, but my quality of life is high and I live more comfortably now than any other time in my life. And I feel that my customers get exactly what they are looking for and doubt they will be looking to replace me.

4 Likes

Well said

$1 vs $7 dollars, your quality should be exactly the same. Unless you have different packages and the customer expects a level of quality that equals the pricing. If you don’t take pride in every job then you aren’t a professional. Pricing is numbers, quality has nothing to do with that unless you care more about money. IMO If you have only 1 pricing option, then your damn right every job gets equal treatment.

Cheaper = less money not less quality.

Kendrick Lamar - be humble :wink:

1 Like

The discussion was on the basis of the understanding of the service professional quoted. The point of the quote was not pointing to any set standard to any of the three categories. Rather the point was when you are competing with other companies in the three categories. There is a minimum standard that meets professional standards and competing on one of the three assumes a standa d above professional. The point is that you are competing with another company and their attention to be the highest quality, or lowest price etc. The point is you can’t compete in all three. In order to be highest quality and best customer service against a competitor it requires more resources so it eliminat s your ability to compete in the lowest price category. There will always be someone in the lowest price category competing who aren’t competing on either customer service or quality.

3 Likes

I always gave my 110% at every job, always the best, received employee of the month at a few. However, I always knew i was worth more. I can’t afford to buy a house working my hardest at McDonald as a manager making $7.40 an hour. I could live in the mountains in a 1 room log cabin, and teach my kids the real skills of being a human, but society doesn’t function that way.

Society functions where we need a house where the kids wont kill each other. Social emotion, and social economics change every variable with how you chose to function in society.

If i contacted my customers who have a fair amount of money that they are on double and triple year cleaning, and told them I am NOW doing window cleaning for $1.00 only, that would contact the local authorities or priest because they would be so over overwhelmingly shocked by the stupidity of insulting my worth as a human and a business owner.

trust me, i give you a month at $1.00 a pane at every job you have, and I guarantee you wont be smiling and working as hard, damn, $20.00 job and it took you 3 hours? ouch, times that by 20 jobs. OH HOT DAMN. Did you know I force every one of my customers to view my website for a coupon when i show up and ask , do you have any coupons, and their reply is no? Oh you didn’t see the one on my website @ (show business card now) oh okay. by the end of each job there is a coupon laying by my clipboard.

LOVE AND RESPECT!

2 Likes

Blockquote
whatapaneSilver Squeegee10m TexasRich
The discussion was on the basis of the understanding of the service professional quoted. The point of the quote was not pointing to any set standard to any of the three categories. Rather the point was when you are competing with other companies in the three categories. There is a minimum standard that meets professional standards and competing on one of the three assumes a standa d above professional. The point is that you are competing with another company and their attention to be the highest quality, or lowest price etc. The point is you can’t compete in all three. In order to be highest quality and best customer service against a competitor it requires more resources so it eliminat s your ability to compete in the lowest price category. There will always be someone in the lowest price category competing who aren’t competing on either customer service or quality.

Just wanted to Quote another Wise Trade Professional. I could not have worded it better, Or could I? >: )

1 Like

Well said. Prices need to be competitive of course :slight_smile:

Exactly! One of the biggest challenges I have had to overcome in properly running my business is relating o ty mindset of my customers. I am not my target market! I would never pay someone to clean my windows. Even if I ever did it would be a social treat in a special occasion.

My target market has tons of expendable income and can more than afford my service on a regular basis. Many if them have million dollar homes all over the world! For then it’s not a “treat” it’s a necessity. It’s something they see as needing to be done and they are going to pay someone to do it. Are they going to leave this job I just anyone? Are they going to just trust any joe blow to come into their Million dollar home? They want someone they can trust so they are going to pay more for that percieved value.

6 Likes

ANd just to be clear Glass MD. I highly respect the fact that you give such a dedication to the quality of your business.

Also, since (for the most part) price is no matter, have you ever donated free cleaning to a local charity, or a certificate for free services for an event. That is how i give back to my community. I know I could charge less and still not lose my quality and service. But I’m tired of living in a two room duplex with two sons and a wife. so i make sure i also dedicate some of my time and skills offering free services to local charities and events. IE. Salem Dream Center recently got together with LOCAL businesses and they all pitched in to clean up a local middle school. I was unable to attend this event But this is something i encourage all of us to do. not only is it great for the heart and soul. BUT DUH, you do get free exposure, I mean seriously, even Jesus would admit that. Im referring to Jesus Christ btw, for the bible… : P

2 Likes

Thank you and i know quality is number one for most guys here! Dont get me wrong about pricing, i still price competitively. I just don’t mind to have some of my extra shaved off.

Charity events are definitely in the future!

I have yet to do that but I do give out stag n doe prizes. :). Free exterior cleans. Have one next week

I don’t think any one here has Joe blow prices. Mine may be lower but they still represent value as all of yours do. But I don’t need to price like other guys to show what service they can get. It’s more than price. Again, i charge competetively but I charge fair for each situation but still in the market value.

One day I may say, f it, instead of losing that 100 bucks a job, snag it. But for now I like having a decent mark up value.

And I hope you get to move with the wife and kids! You work hard and deserve it. We each have our owns goals and we each know what we want to make in life and where we stand. What we are happy with.

I agree with this 100% as it is true in every line of business.

Take a restaurant for example - quality of the tables, table cloths, cloth napkins, to the utensils, to the way the staff is dressed.
Highest quality - Best Service - Lowest Price categories — corners must be cut to get that price point down to the cheapest — basic simple tables, no table cloths, paper napkins, simple cheap utensils, staff dressed in casual street clothes. Service quality will differ from each staff member, the best will leave for better pay where the quality of service is compensated.

I see the same for window cleaning. People who want and expect quality also expect to pay for it.
I know I can get a pair of shoes at Walmart that I have to sift through the inventory to find, but if I go to Peltz Shoes there is a staff member there that greets me and finds the correct shoe for me. There is a charge for that. :wink:

3 Likes

Generally speaking, there is some reason you can’t get Maserati service at Yugo prices.

I have always felt the same way, until I ran into a local guy who I used to laugh at on Craigslist who used to clean for 1$ per pane. Seriously. He used to say it was all done “by hand” I remember. In fact I believe I posted it on this forum.

This guy has about 6 or 7 righteous employees WITH BOTH GL AND WORKMANS COMP, and he is still the cheapest outfit in my area.

As far as outfits with several in the field go (regarding quality of work) I’d have to say his guys are good enough to keep commercial accounts and repeat, loyal residential clients.

Personally I have no idea how he does it and he won’t tell me (I don’t blame him). To me, like you, the numbers just don’t really add up with my math. I know I’m missing the secret element that he has figured out but I’m here to tell you that it is possible because he is doing it.

1 Like

Or he is “telling you” that. :wink:

1 Like

Garry I doubt he’s just saying it. I have seen it on this forum many times how people can perform the magic 3 propositions successfully.

It just takes a different setup for your business. It’s not for everyone. But I will say it’s very doable.

One of the other major key factors is being able to manage your customers expectations properly.

2 Likes

That is still an assumption though.
There is always room for adjustment when price is being skimmed.

Take the Grocery Store scenario for example. A Publix or similar has a nice store, plenty of employees always stocking shelves, a customer service counter that sells cigarettes, Lotto tickets, stamps, and exchanges coins for dollars.

Then a no frills Grocery Store that has a pretty decent looking store, sells the same products, but they leave them in boxes on the shelves eliminating having a bunch of employees stocking the shelves, no service counter, don’t sell cigarettes, Lotto tickets, stamps, or exchange coins for dollars.

The first tries their very best to provide “All 3”; the second gets the inventory sold without offering “All 3”.

Value Propositions - do they both truly have all three?

Somewhere corners are cut and would likely be bad business for him to outline what they are.

2 Likes

I’ve got a guy around here that has a business called Do It All Construction. Of course his property is in shambles and his truck is completely rusted out. I wonder if there’s any correlation. Lol

1 Like