Value Propositions can you truly have all three?

oh man! he got me! please Garry, I was born on a day but not yesterday. He simply said he ain’t gonna tell me.

1 Like

False.

Professional manners and courtesy (#3, Service) are not tied to price or quality in any way. There is no reason for anyone to skimp on these.

There is also a bird’s nest of variables surrounding quality (#1) and price (#2). While it is true that reducing price beyond a certain point will invariably require a compromise, it is a bit of a non-sequitur to assume that lower price automatically means poorer quality.

Production rate, operating costs, profit and owner salary all play their part and are inextricably linked to any pricing structure.

It is possible to have the lowest price and the highest quality. The compromise will come from somewhere else e.g. the owner’s salary.

4 Likes

I see that and believe it will only last for so long until the Owner decides it is no longer worth “lowest price for best quality and service”.

1 Like

Indeed. Though some stick it out longer than others. Like the cleaner in my area who charges $75 for 20 windows and screens inside and out. He gets great reviews and has been in business since 2003.

Personally I’d rather wait tables than neuter my profits with rock-bottom pricing like that.

2 Likes

Something we might say until we get stuck waiting tables and feeling personally neutered.

“Better to die on one’s feet than to live on one’s knees” -Emiliano Zapata

4 Likes

on of those variable is the customers perception of what those words mean. there is a spectrum with the guy who said “$50 an hour to clean windows is RIDICULOUS, you’re just cleaning windows, i’m in the wrong line of business!” (his wife had hired us knowing the price ahead of time but he decided to take his anger out on us) to the lady on tuesday “do you know how much it’s going to be?” “yes it’s going to be the same as last time, $157” -pause- “are you sure? that doesn’t seem like enough, can i pay you $175?”

1 Like

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard " it’s only cleaning windows, or I’m not paying you that much to clean windows, or cleaning Windows doesn’t look hard I can do that! " like you said it’s perception. Once they see you sweating up and down a ladder, making the Windows look better than when they were installed, their perception changes.

1 Like

Take some time to think about each step you take to do a professional clean of someones windows.

All of the tools used, all of the techniques, all of the little things that add up to make a wow factor for them.

Write each step down on paper and break it down in order of operation.

Now, rehearse out loud to yourself how you respond to people when they give you the line of - “It’s only cleaning windows.”

Whittle it down to a brief yet informative conversation (not lecture) about what you put into making their windows look great.

Who?

Good thought, I’ll do that bro. Thank you.

Youll never have all 3 in a service business. Labor just doesn’t scale like that.

The only time all 3 are possible is with a technology type business that can scale independent of labor.

7 Likes

Well there you go; the voice of reason.

2 Likes

Hey Samuel can you link this thread for me…
Unless you guys are driving north to avoid Irma…
(Be safe all you folks in Florida)

@wcs there you go :grin:

1 Like

Paul Pate bro from Blue Ocean.

I just found out today why tho. Capitol. He’s got it.

I think having a higher price can actually associate you with HIGHER value. As a business owner, I’m failing if I have to come in at the lowest price to get the job. In some situations, the cheapest price gets the job, but most people average the factors and go with the company they feel most comfortable about.

2 Likes

That’s true to an extent…but there is only so much the market can bear.