Weightlifting motivation

Prior to owning our own biz and having kids I was big in to lifting for five years. Now it’s hard to workout even with a home gym. For those of you who have a passion for weightlifting/workout: what are you doing to stay on top of a good routine?

@Samuel

1 Like

Too bad Polzn Bladz isn’t on here. That guys a straight up beast!

2 Likes

Man I was a gym rat for many years it gets hard once your energy level An time level start disintegrating
From 18- to late 30s I was always in shape
I think a mean gym , but just haven’t had the motivation nor energy.
My friend was begging me for the last couple of years to go with him. To no avail
I told even if I go once with you we would never be able to keep a schedule so what the use of me coming today
Still always got texts from him. Going to the gym want to go
I swore my wife was telling him to get me motivated an to get me back it got annoying after a while. Lol
One thing. I know if your not ready to commit to a regime then one time don’t mean squat.

So to answer your question absolutely nothing. I’m a fat bastard.
I’m going to start doing the elyptical I mean towl rack I bought.
Man I use to mountain bike too I have a 1500.00 bike in the garage collecting dust
So ya that’s my story as I sit here watching football, after 2 plates of turkey :turkey:
Coffee an desert soon :scream:

2 Likes

Thanks for the Thanksgiving laugh!
Enjoy the desert! Lol

1 Like

Do it before 6am everyday. Get it out of the way before the day really starts. After a couple weeks you will love it.

5 Likes

I like the thought of this, but with a 3 and 1 year old girls it proves to be a little difficult. If they aren’t already awake any little sound and they will be up. I enjoy late evening workouts but often a long days work (or an appetizing craft beer) ruins that.

1 Like

But this was aimed to motivate. So I’m going to get back to a routine. 3 days a week. Start off with a Push/Pull/Legs for 4-6 weeks and then might switch to strong lifts 5x5. I keep a progress report going, but I would like others to chime in with what they’re doing as well.

What has helped me, and it can be applied in other aspects of life too, is to start with a “bare minimum” routine. If you jump in all out and try for a big push all at once you might be on fire for a few weeks, but then just fizzle out just as easily. Instead, try just two 20 minute workouts a week, or even less. Even just one push-up a day. Make it so it’s so easy it’d be ridiculous NOT to do it. Honestly, if you did just one set of deadlifts a week you’d already benefit a ton and see results in a short time.

It also helps to get everything ready the night before. Put your gym clothes, shoes, and water right next to your bed. It’s been proven that just that little extra start can be enough to get you to do it.

I also had an epiphany recently: so much has been written on motivation, and yet we still struggle. I believe we’ve got it all wrong. Instead of trying to get motivated, we need to realize that whether we feel like doing something or not has no bearing on the need nor our ability to get it done. So, a really simple but effective mental strategy I’ve developed that has been working wonders is this: when i don’t feel motivated i just say out loud, “I don’t feel motivation to do this. Thankfully, this activity doesn’t require motivation for me to do it.” It might sound too simple but I’m amazed how well it’s worked.

Finally, remember: if you don’t make time for exercise now, you will definitely have to make time for illness later.

8 Likes

My workouts are a necessity if I am to keep up the pace with my work goals. It’s a physical job and its physicality needs to be addressed outside of work. You’ve got to practice if you’re going to perform!

It’s difficult in the beginning to get motivated but when I meditate on all of the benefits, both physical and mental, then it gets easier!

2-3 gym visits a week in peak season and 4-5 during the slower months. I have multiple injuries from extreme sports and going through so much physical therapy convinced me that to stay mobile you must support your body with increased strength and stability. My workouts are designed to specifically support the physical motions I do in my work so as to lesson the risk of injury and to add to efficiency.

5 Likes

I had to take a break from being a gym rat in early October. I was too worn out from 6-7 day weeks, so when I wasn’t doing billable hours I became as immobile as a vampire during summer solstice in Alaska.

I think in a couple of weeks I will get my energy back and get back to the gym. My lifting this year has been high reps as most of my workout time has been for Bartitsu, a martial art that has kickboxing and stickfighting. I have devised a lot of footwork drills for the stick fighting that augment my WC footwork.

2 Likes

It’s just one of those things that you either want or you don’t. You will find a slot in your schedule and put it in your calendar just like you would a cleaning job. Best of luck as I’m in the middle of starting all over again at the gym also.

1 Like

I recommend you don’t work out at home if you have the choice. When you’re at home it’s just too easy to skip, procrastinate, cut a workout short, or sacrifice intensity due to distraction.

1 Like

Get one of these… Pull up on the way to the fridge!

2 Likes

Having a workout partner has also been huge for me. Keeping each other on track can be invaluable.

1 Like

I am way out of shape for the same reasons so don’t listen to me but I do know what I am talking about. A great option is a Kettle bell. To major compound lifts is all you need for a full body strength and conditioning workout in 20 minutes a day. You do 10 sets of 10 rep Kettle bell swings with about 30 seconds of rest in between sets and then 5 Turkish get-ups on each arm. That’s it. Do it every day and eat healthy and you will be stronger then ever and fit as a fiddle in less time than any other work out you do. Most efficient work out.

2 Likes

Early mornings work best, for about a year I would get to the gym for 5am and bang out a solid workout 6 days a week. Going early got me goin for the day and I cut coffee out of my morning routine almost entirely cause I was pumped up from a good workout.

3 Likes

Grease the groove!