What do you use on large commercial windows?

So I finished my first commercial the other day and realized a few things.

1. My 12" squeegee is too small
  2. The idea of a flipper is very appealing
  3. I actually liked using the pole for the tall ones
  4. From what I saw, any detailing was due to vinyl lettering, dive-bombing pretty much left detail-less edges.

Now, my questions for you guys:

1. What size squeegee do you use for larger comm. windows without worrying about glass bowing and leaving water?
  2. When you first started, how did you confirm you didn’t leave any haze on the window?
  3. How do you know when to change water?

If there’s any other “I wish I knew” you’d like to share, please go right ahead thanks!

no offence but there have at least 3 trillion threads/comments on this recently have you looked at them?

2 Likes

Big squeegees

4 Likes

don’t believe her when she says it’s all in how you use the squeegee… size matters

5 Likes

Looking “at” the window.

When the waters dirty.

Now C’Mon Man! @Aldreth ask something important. Like how do I use the search function to find all the “golden nuggets.”

8 Likes

Aldreth, of course we’re all very happy to help you, but Steve is right about the search function. You’ll get answers quicker (cause they are already there waiting for you). But another major benefit is that you’ll really get more feedback because you’ll get the combined wisdom of many pros including ones that may not be actively posting anymore. On top​ of that, you’ll find that one thread leads to another, so you’ll end up getting absorbed and finding things you didn’t even know to ask.

Don’t hesitate to keep posting, but i would encourage you to search first, read all you can, and then post if you still need more help.

7 Likes

…You know you’re in trouble when she says “just make circular movements”…

3 Likes
  1. we always use our 14" and 18" squeegees
  2. with my eyes
  3. when it’s dirty. seriously though, we dunk a clean mop into our solution bucket and then the rest of the time we re-wet our mops from our bottles so our water never gets dirty.
4 Likes

I use my 18" a lot. Around here the windows get too dirty for a flip pad so I reserve that for small commercial and residential. Adjust squeegee size based on the job. My favorite is my Moerman 18" but some of my commercial accounts are panes 9 feet by 9 feet with 60 panes that an 18" would take all day to do so I swap up to a 30". I own a 60" blade as well that has some uses here and there but to be honest I bought that because it is a fun “toy”.

2 Likes

Ettore 30 Super Channel. Hands down my go to with big windows. Never had any issues with leaving water and if you practice you can fan with it. You can pull also all depends on what your comfortable with. You can even half pull and close out fanning.

https://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/ettore-superchannel.html

As for the water change we use a 2 bucket system 1 bucket filled with clean water and dump amount needed for the job in the other bucket, after the job toss out that water wipe out and you ready for next job. This way you always start with clean water and I’ve noticed we used less water this way

1 Like

I’ve been using search bar guess I need to use more precise keywords.

As for the haze I was talking about, I look at the glass and it looks perfect until there’s light hitting it and then you can see every little mistake

1. As big as you can handle. Time is money. That being said, a 22" is the biggest channel you can use in a boab

2. Don’t use windex. Use only a little soap. Unless you’re doing a greasy restaurant and then use more.

3. When do you change your underwear? When you can’t see the bottom is a good indicator that you should have changed your water a few jobs back. If you’re doing route, then yeah, the water can be a lot dirtier than if you’re doing residential. Keep it fresh for residential, do what you have to with route. But you should carry an extra 3 or 6 gallons with you just in case you need it.

4 Likes

Unless you absolutely have too… Lol

But most of the time it’s in the bucket

1 Like

Well yeah. Clarification: 22 is the biggest without it flopping around lol

2 Likes

What fun is a long day with a flopping flapper at your side. :wink: as you watch everybody go play golf while you’re scrubbing their glass…

I can’t wait to get back to my banks next week. Feelin the bern…

2 Likes

Here you go big is good LOL.

2 Likes

You took my answer. Lol.

Nice answer smart ass… :grin:

1 Like

You sent those to me yet?

18 mop/22 squeegee
My solution wont leave a haze (but just by looking)
I change water every day. I dont dip mop in clean water.
Golden nugget: watch Game of Thrones.