What's for dinner?

No. I’m a [B]complete failure [/B]with my bread machine. :frowning:
So I don’t want to commit to the process of making a pizza dough until I can conquer a simple loaf of bread.

I’ve made 1lb loaves for about 4 days. And just cant get them to rise properly.
Being the idiot that I am- the first time I poured the liquid in last, all over the yeast.
So that time was an easy fix (follow the directions)

I’ve tried different salts (kosher and iodized,) bought fresh yeast, bread flour, dairy and sugar.
It’s [B]gotta [/B]be something on my end= user error.

But, that’s the good thing about my stubbornness… I’ll keep trying until I get it.

Is your yeast too old, or try using less yeast, make sure you stoe yeast in the fridge.

I’ve been using new, out of the packet yeast.
But I never knew to store it in the fridge though.

Thank you!

There is active dry yeast and bread machine yeast. I use active dry yeast in my bread machine. You should be using approx 2 tsp of yeast for a loaf.

Personally I think bread in the over is easier and tastes better than out of the machine…but the machine is set it & forget it!

Never did a bread. I command you for trying it . That is so cool, an very cool that someone [MENTION=37448]wps[/MENTION]. has offered up the keys to success .
Honestly if I were going to do a home made pizza lazy me would stop at the local pizza joint.an buy some dough.
I forgot who one of my buddies told me you can buy it from there, but if you have the time ,an the patience there is nothing like making something from scratch an calling it your own . :).

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app.

One thing I can tell ya is always use kosher, or sea salt when cooking. Iodized for French fries, an the like only imo. I think with package yeast your suppose to dissolve in warm water first. I think not 100% on that
Now I’m 100% just found this. I was curios so I had to check.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning

Mix yeast, sugar & water (about 110 degrees) for about 10 minutes, this is called proofing. If it bubbles up, you know the yeast it’s active. I don’t do this for the bread machine, usually just add all the ingredients.

Oh ok,but you do do this method for oven baked bread👍

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

yes, add that mix to flour and salt, knead it, let it rise, after it rises knead it again and shape into a pan or whatever shape you want, let rise a bit again, stick it in the over. That is bread making over simplified. There is tons of bread videos on youtube. That’s how I learned. Try looking up “no knead bread” or “artisan bread”, that’s a good place to start.

I use kosher salt for cooking. But this darn bread making makes things difficult.
Yeast eats sugar, but doesn’t like salt.
So the salt keeps the “rise” in check.

Here’s what made me get screwy-Serving size vs weight

(serving size is 1/4 tsp)

• 1/4 teaspoon mortons = 1.5 grams
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher = .7 grams

Now that I’ve typed this, I think I should go back to Kosher, if I want it to rise more. :o

Watching your video, I think I’m with you on the yeast.
Though there is a short period where the machine warms up the ingredients to the same temperature, before it starts mixing.
that’s where I read to keep them separate, so the yeast doesn’t get activated right away.

But I’m thinking it should be ok.

Incidentally, I took pics of Sundays (round 4) version.
It’s not too far off, just kind of doughy in the middle.
(maybe I should use a warmer cycle)

It’s small. 1lb.

Kosher salt has bigger flakes so less fits in the measuring spoon. I never measure it, just close enough is good. If you’re using the machine don’t worry about the salt, I wouldn’t put the salt directly on the yeast, you just can’t mix the salt in with the proofing of the yeast

lol. Easy for you to say…
you don’t have birds and squirrels at your door, waiting for their daily 1lb loaf of “lunch.” :smiley:

yeah, all the birds are dead, they keep hitting the clean windows and the squirrels are gone…thanks to the 5 gallon hommer bucket on my deck full of rocks (target practice)! lol

LOL

That reminds me: a buddy of mine spent 6 months perfecting his most awesome alfredo sauce. It seemed like every day he’d come in and tell me about the changes he made. He was on a mission to nail alfredo sauce. He finally came in one day triumphant that he had finally got it as good as it could get. So I asked him for the recipe.

He said “Well, you’ll need about 2 gallons of milk…” and I was like “how much sauce are you making???” and he was brewing up like 2 gallons of alfredo sauce. He came from a big family so he didn’t screw around with little recipes. I don’t need that much sauce it’s just me and the dog. So I asked him where he was dumping all this sauce he’d been making for the last 6 months. He was giving it to the neighbors dog.

I was like damn, I’m pretty sure that 2 gallons of alfreado sauce every day isn’t good for a dog… :eek:

Splitting. My. Gut. That is funny right therr…

“well, I guess I’ll have to declare this the perfect Alfredo sauce. I’ve got no way to dispose of it now that the dog’s dead…”

“Poor Fido” Recipe conversion would of saved Fido. Dam that friend of yours :rolleyes:

I don’t think 2 gallons of Alfredo Sauce is good for a [B]human[/B]… let alone a dog.
Although, I’ve seen some big ass dogs.

Couple weeks ago, had a customer’s great dane stand upright, paws on my shoulders, 'giving me kisses.'
Owners were all like “oh he likes you.”

I was freaked, I could barely move, he was taller than me.
(wish I had some Alfredo Sauce with me THAT day.) :cool:

Yeah, you don’t look at the calories and fat content of Alfredo sauce if you want to enjoy eating it.

But this is my buddy who came in one day with his thumb bandaged all up. I asked him about it figuring he’d been working on his truck or his sea do, or some other manly man type thing. “Well, I went to cut my snickers and almost sliced my thumb off…” How the heck is that even possible? “Well, I like my snickers frozen…”

This is the guy who I asked “What are you getting your dad for fathers day?” “Oh, I’m gonna send him a dozen roses.” Huh?? “Yeah, he works at a CAT dealership running the shop. He HATES it when I send him flowers…”

Yeah, those danes can get freaky big. I’m not sure about dogs that can look you in the eye while standing there on 4 legs.

http://site.thealpineonline.com/uploads/AlpineWurstandMeatHouse_Menu13.pdf

Page 3- Jaeger Schnitzel. With a side of spaetzle and hot red cabbage. Pobably the best restaurant in my town.