Working the eco-friendly angle? worth it?

is there any point? are people getting into the ‘saving the environment’ thing enough for it to pay off to advertise from that angle? do you think its a growing trend that will be profitable in 1-5 years, but not now?

i mean making a point of saying you use bio-degradable detergents, reuse water when possible [dumping the dirty water on your lawn when you get home lol], use non-petroleum based soaps, printing invoices on recycled paper, giving away reuseable bags and such… to try to win clients by being bio-friendly…

will it work? im thinking phasing this in isnt a bad idea, but it certainly would get any commercial clients away from your competitors [for the most part price is still king, with punctuality a distant second], and might only get you one in a thousand potential residential clients closed into a sale, if they REALLY care about this stuff already.

it might improve your ‘image’ with existing clients and show that you take pride in your business and general conduct… but will it do more? your thoughts please

It might work in the same affect as advertising that you’re insured & bonded. It’s probably not on their minds when looking for a window cleaner but when this added bonus is there, it helps to cements the deal.

I’d say add it to your biz cards and print media and even your website but I wouldn’t invest a lot of time and money on it.

You are seeing it more and more out there. Going green and all that. There are some that like it. If you have accounts around food preparation, medical institutions and residential people who are enviro conscience, it would be a good niche I would think. I know way back when I was working in the printing industry, we were always getting different chemicals that were enviromentally safer than the previous stuff we used. It always seemed to be diluted down next to nothing and took alot of “tweeking out” to get anything to work right on our presses.

Steve

Contrast, don’t kid yourself with the ‘price is still king’ commercial thing. Lots of companies are eco-crazy with their policies, and I think you could leverage it well.

I think its smart, if done right for the right targeted client.

I am starting to get into it, but I do not think it is really thought about with window cleaning.

The average person likely thinks Windex and 90% use that themselves… I guess what I am trying to say is people probably do not associate toxic chemicals with window cleaning (even though Windex/ammonia are toxic)

So if I were to advertise it, I would need to explain it. At this time I do not think it would bring me any more sales. Maybe it will matter more in the near future.

I am curious (and I am not being sarcastic) Have any of you got a sale because of or partly because of the “green” factor?

The government is starting to require it for larger companies and I read they my start offering tax breaks for companies that get certified by an official agency. I think it’s worth it. The younger generation think about this a lot. 5, 10, 15 years from now it will be an issue. Better to start now and we are in a business where making a very small change will make you eco friendly. Most of the soaps on the market today are green already. I use it and have used it in my selling speach. Ever notice the house pet after you clean a lower window? The dogs walk up, smell the glass, then lick it. I explain to the customer if they child does that, there is nothing to worry about, The soap is non-toxic. I also explain to some of the homeowners, that my soap wont kill there plants, garden etc. Very small change, I think over time it will give a good roi as there is not much investing for us.

The words eco-friendly, green, biodegradable, non-toxic, et. al. are all really marketing hype (and, that’s the advertising portion we are talking about) – products need to be independently [B]certified[/B] to really matter, no?

Is GG4 non toxic or just biodegradable?

http://www.titanlabs.net/gg4.htm

I have that link associated with the “Goes Green” statement on my website

I’m guessing “No phosphates, ammonia or hazardous ingredients” means “non toxic”?

Sounds like a good guess.

If you are asking so that you may advertise the phrase “non toxic,” there probably wouldn’t be an issue, but perhaps “non hazardous” will work for you (and, it’s accurate [per Titan] and more inclusive.)

I clean at an “eco building” and all cleaners need to be approved prior to use.

They had no problem with my use of gg4.

the other issue is using SUSTAINABLE products, right now almost all soaps are PETROLEUM based…not renewable…

i currently am using seventh generation’s stuff and its made from grain or something lol…works well, but ive heard ecovers is even better, and its the same type of dishwashing soap.

a lot of people react to the chemicals in normal dish washing liquid/soap even if its not toxic, people with enviromental illness, multiple chemical sensitivity, and even people who dont think they have chemical overload or issues still get head aches from it…

dont get me started on perfume or fabric softner…lol do a google search for the cancer-causing chemicals in most ‘scented’ products…no wonder more and more people are having their bodies shut down or freak out on them, saying enough is enough with all the un-needed and un-natural fragrances.

Always makes me wonder what they’re trying to cover up!

I would have to echo Paneless words in that price is [B]not[/B] king in Commercial window cleaning - Reliability and Quality are

On enviro-friendly products, I think there could be some competitive advantages with the eco-friendly angle. You could charge much higher prices for those that want eco-friendly products, and make more profits. Look at eco-friendly dry cleaners - you wouldn’t believe how much extra they charge.

As well, you might be able to get some contracts with environmentally friendly industries that need their windows cleaned. YOu would easily be able to get it if marketed properly, they would probably drop their old window cleaner since yours is friendly to the planet.

Besides those two advantages I think you are being disingenious if you change the soap you are using and are still driving a minivan, or a pickup truck. You look like a hypocrite or that you are cynically offering eco-friendly products. If you decide to go that way, you should go all the way, getting a hybrid pickup truck or minivan and making other changes to the way you do business. So that you can’t have legitimate criticism thrown at you like Al Gore does with his energy wasting home.

Its a hard line to walk, for sure.

Ideas for a possible middle ground:

[INDENT]1. You could spin the eco-angle to emphasize the positive “interior atmosphere” effects of your eco-friendly products on the inside of a clients home/business, or

1. You could explain whatever changes have been made thus far to be part of your company’s “ever-improving eco-friendly policies”, or something like that.[/INDENT]

As for the hypocrite stance, I suppose that to the fanatic, one could never win that game without living in a mud house heated with geo-thermal energy, and walking to every WC client’s home, and then doing the actual work with a wooden squeegee and leafy mop…

To strike a politically-correct balance with this kind of stuff would be nearly impossible, when someone is determined to vilify you.

In my non-tested opinion, anyway.

As for the hypocrite stance, I suppose that to the fanatic, one could never win that game without living in a mud house heated with geo-thermal energy, and walking to every WC client’s home, and then doing the actual work with a wooden squeegee and leafy mop…

To strike a politically-correct balance with this kind of stuff would be nearly impossible, when someone is determined to vilify you.

In my non-tested opinion, anyway.

Kevin. I think an enviornmentalist would be more concerned about the greater enviornmental footprint an suv or minivan would make then the tiny amount of petroleum wasted in dish soap.

It’s straining out the gnat to gulp down the camel.

One needs transportation to work, and if you are trying to strike the environmental angle, they would definitely pay attention to the vehicle you drive. Other transportation alternatives exists such as hybrid SUVs. It’s not a case that one would need to walk to each job.

Your making me laugh today, Mike.

Seriously, I just laughed out loud…

enlighten me.

Ahh…I thought you’d never ask…

No, just kidding, It’s never my goal to out-duel anyone, especially not you, Mike.

You’re taking exception to comments that were designed to represent the extreme view of unbalanced people.

Please note my use of the word “fanatic”.

If I am resolved to paint you as a hater of the environment, I could quickly accumulate reams of pseudo-empirical evidence to establish such as being the case, but anyone with half a brain would see through it.

That was the point I was making. Hybrid SUV’s are made in factories that are supported and nurtured by coal-powered, atmosphere-suffocating, pollution-spitting energy plants (in the eyes of a fanatic), thus the inability to “win” an argument against hypocrisy with a fanatic…Of the 1000’s of components making up the most eco-friendly automobile, (Toyota Prius, perhaps?) there are still countless of them that could be construed as “hypocritically supporting the slow poison of our earth”, again - in the eyes of a fanatic.

Capiche ?

I was musing about the futility of dealing with a fanatic, and you decided to pick a fight with it, precipitating my responsive laugh.

Since you asked :slight_smile:

[SIZE=“1”]I can’t believe I just spent 8 minutes composing this response…8 minutes that I’ll never get back again…doh…[/SIZE]