Above Top rung ladder work (Pics)

the guy is a certified maniac. one sick guy.

Your post Fails - Maybe you’re just confused on where and when to use the word Fail.

Now if I had pictures of him standing up there, then falling, well then we would have some good Failblog or wherever you want to put it. There are other definitions you could give it (Super hero, lunatic, maniac, dumbass, fearless, etc…) but I’m sorry Fail isn’t the correct one.

LOL, it’s the FAIL NAZI!!

NO FAIL FOR YOU!

Hahahahaha

Way 2 funny Micah

I don’t know Justin, someone can seemingly do the right thing but still fail in all the ways that matter. I’d definitely say he’s a Fail and definitely not a Super hero.

Saw this thread earlier this morning and actually used it as a demonstration during todays safety meeting.

The subject was “Don’t do this please”

That dude is nuts. Cool pics though.

SPLAT!

My friend Erik is quite the nut. Figured I’d share some pictures. Standing on the tip of the ladder (above the top rung) is just a days work for him. I’m seen him walk 9 inch ledges 4 story’s up. He’s also pretty good at chair work. Last summer I worked with him on a job he needed a footer (60 foot ladder work) man I wish I would of taken pictures. He really should be doing something to show off and get paid for the gift he has.

Justin, first off thanks for the pictures. I saved them to my hard drive and labeled them “ladder idiot 1, 2, 3, etc…” I will use them for safety meetings and I’m going to post them on my bulletin board with a title. “Don’t like your job?” “Do this and you won’t have one.”

I think you are taking heat (deservedly so) because you set the context of the pics as your friend who amazes you with his “gift.” Truth is, anybody can do the same thing but most of us are smarter than that. The guy doesn’t have a gift, he has a lack of caution.

What was the reaction of your workers to the pics?

EDIT: Hi

Guys please… We dont have many rules here (just 7, and the most important one is [B]just be nice to each other[/B]) - Lets keep in mind Justin never said he endorsed this behavior, he was just passing it along for us to view. I always like seing interesting photos, so its not a big deal. I think if anything these photos remind all of us that use a ladder everyday to be extra careful. Maybe Justin’s friend will checkout these posts and realize he should change his behavior.

thanks guys - be safe out there!

Sorry Chris - I’ll delete my last post, it was un-appropriate.

No need to delete, this is a good thread… just wanted EVERYONE to remain civil.

I’ve done a lot of ledge walking and ladder cornering in my time but this guy is definately one rung short of the full extension. All I can say is that its just a matter of time. Some people learn the hard way. I remember an old lag of 50 years in the trade telling me[I][B] “The ladder only needs to be lucky once. You need to be lucky all the time”[/B][/I]

I think the pictures, when looking at them in the right context, are awesome. If you look at them for the “art” of pictures they are neat. However this would never fly working for me. I spend lots of money to have a variety of weapons in the bag for different situations when I’m out on a job. This guy is just doing this to get attention. I would say after looking at these posts he has done a pretty good job of getting attention.

I also agree with the majority, I would never post those pictures on a thread like this with the title written like it is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion tho…

WOW! Crazy pics. Thanks for posting them. My only hope is that the guy comes to his senses before learning the hard way why people are freaked about his methods. But lets face it, anyone who has ever cleaned a window on a ladder has stepped out of his comfort zone on more than one occasion and after your back on solid ground you say to yourself, " That was nuts!". Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating this kind of behavior, but in some weird way it’s nice to know that you’re not as crazy as some people are. Keep it safe.

There’s an old saying when you work at airports, “You only get one,” meaning it only takes one mistake around a propeller and your done. The same holds true for ladder work.

When I first saw the pics I thought, “Hmm, I never thought about standing there for an extra boost”, my next thought was, “Please don’t let any of my guys see this because they are just young and dumb enough to try it!”

My response to this post is your buddy is playing Russian Roulette here, absolutely no difference between a revolver in his hand and the ladder shifting half an inch while he’s one footing on the point. He might have a firm grip on the brick or it could crumble, empty chamber full chamber.

So the question is, if you give a rat’s arse about your buddy, how long are you going to encourage him spinning the revolver?

We have all done stupid stuff on ladders, but multiple shots show he is doing it on a regular basis. You’ve got the pics to prove how skilled he was, now you should talk him into getting a 32 footer, so you guys can look back at the wild and crazy days together, instead of wishing that you hadn’t encouraged his suicidal behavior.

Very well said Brett. I agree with everything you said.

I appreciate the concern and must also say “Very well put” but you guys seem to keep missing something. Not sure how because I made it very clear and said it again and again. I don’t encourage his behavior, I’ve told him dozens of times how crazy and dangerous it is. He simply responds “I’ve been doing it for 20 years and I’m very comfortable with it” Not sure what it is you guys think I can do to force him to stop.

I talked to him yesterday and told him about this thread. He was interested so I linked it to him. He called me back and said that he was very surprised on how many people said this was dangerous. He also said he is so comfortable with it he didn’t see it that way, but with the responses that many people couldn’t be totally wrong. He said he couldn’t make any promises to totally stop but he was def going to look closer into the danger of it. I told him to register and come on and post himself. Perhaps he will, and maybe this thread will help him.

You are definitely a good friend Justin. If nothing else you may have opened his eyes to the potential disaster waiting for him.