Discount for volume?

I went volume on the egg whites They wouldn’t give me a discount

1 Like

Maybe you didn’t ask for one :grin:

1 Like

Skillet Bob is going to undercut their price. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re comparing products to time!!! There is money you save by having massive volume at one location. I have no problem discounting for massive volume and my discount is not big it’s not like you cut 75% off cuz they have massive volume we’re talking a tiny amount of money and you can still hit your target hourly rate because of the volume.

Meh, I dont like discounts in general, and in fairness… I dont like tips.
And I sure as shit dont like getting a tip, if someone asked for a discount.

We are getting into “saving drive time.” and that’s cool.
What if you do two houses at discount, and then two days later some nosey neighbor 3 doors down wants you to come, and do theirs. "But you did Mrs Johnson for $300, why am I $450?!?

• Or what if that ‘huge volume discount’ decides to have just the outside done, and divides the discounted price by half.

• and now you are stuck with a half day to fill.?

• You guys do what you want, and obviously my thinking doesnt match others, so, cheers

2 Likes

So are you discounting without them asking ? You have a built in automatic discount for x amount of windows ? How you working this ??

Your right … you don’t ask you don’t receive, but something tells me they would of just laughed.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

Nobody’s house is the same volume or not. Also who says the customer gets to divide the price in half. Your looking at the term discount wrong. You don’t tell the customer hey I’m gonna give you a discount for having lots of work. Your looking at it like it’s some 40% off going out of business sale. It’s not it’s more like hey since your buying a gallon of milk it’s cheaper per oz than if you buy a 16 oz bottle. You guys are perceiving it as some announced price to the consumer and this major blow to your business. Also where did I say HUGE discount. Your not giving a HUGE discount, your not announcing to them it’s discounted and the neighbors not gonna know you charged them $7 a pane and the volume neighbor $6.50 a pane.

If I have 300 fixed pieces of glass right in front of me and I want to make $115 hr. Do I need to charge the same price per pane to hit $115 hr as if I have to clean 30 panes and drive around and do that 10 times. You guys talk like I’m saying go from $7 a pane to 99 cents or announce to the customer HEY I’M GIVING YOU A DISCOUNT. You are simply recognizing that due to the volume on one property a TINY decrease in price per pane will still yeild you the same income if not even more due to volume. This isn’t some make a wish foundation 70% off discount. It’s a very minor price adjustment for the volume.

Is Judy that has 30 panes and is being charged 210.00 gonna know that the neighbor that had 100 panes and is being charged 650.00 gonna know you gave a discount? No, how the heck would she know that? There’s different styles of windows, different frequency agreements, different heights, different numbers of screens, ladder work etc. How is Judy gonna know your formula on her house vs the neighbors.

You don’t have to go over the analogy I get it. I understand your frame of thinking. I just never thought that way. EVER!!!
That’s why I like when they call back for a second service :sunglasses:.

Nothing wrong with what your doing. I’m just wondering if your leaving money on the table. That’s all. Maybe you’re … Maybe you aren’t

I’m not against giving a small discount to get a job , I just never gave it without them asking. Unless they give me a multiple service like Narcos was saying. House wash , Driveway cleaning , deck cleaning , fence cleaning. Then I throw in Exterior window cleaning. Something like that, but to roll up to a wondow cleaning job , and it’s a big house . never ever thought that way. I don’t think the customer thinks that way either. Well I’m sure some do , but the majority I think don’t.

1 Like

After reading these responses it seems that you are “discounting” on hypothetical cases and not actual jobs. If a customer requests a reasonable negotiation in price while I am hungry for work, then that may occur. I used to offer 20% discount on full in/out quarterly cleans - many customers aren’t that loyal even after that, they just get used to it and then hit the brakes if you have to raise prices. (Cost of living is always on the rise!) I do offer $25 off for quarterly in/out agreement - who can’t use $25; $100 per year? Perhaps my volume isn’t extravagant enough to give away $50-$75-$100+ per job. I have one particular job, exterior only, that calls me ever 3 or 4 months for the last year and a half for $605 - every other clean they pay me $650. Apparently they don’t need a discount. Mostly people that DO need a discount don’t have that big of a job anyway and will drop you for the next cheaper guy who comes along. If your business plan awards you a profit and keeps you on top of the rising cost of life and unforseens then by all means have at it. After 13 years - well, there’s a charge for that.

Did you tell that the guy four counties over was charging $11.42?

1 Like

I have had this happen so many times. In one neighborhood with 9 houses, I clean 6 of them. The other three have the biggest houses. One of them ask for the same price as here neighbor with the smallest house, because “you’re already here, it’s not that big of a deal.” Yeah, I spend a whole day there doing all those homes and it is SO nice but I still charge fair prices, I do discount them because they do them quarterly, not because they have so many windows. I have gotten AND lost the biggest homes by sticking to my price.
Time is so important. When I am on a house for 3-5 hrs, my productivity does not somehow multiply, that piece of glass takes the same amount of time when all things are equal.

2 Likes

“I don’t think the customer thinks that way.” You don’t announce it to the customer. Price is one of the reasons customers choose a business. If I can still hit the SAME money goal and secure the job instead of a competitor getting it then it doesn’t bother me. It’s being more price competitive, not cheap, not bucket Bob, not giving away your services. If I can land a hospital that gives me 12 k cause my competitor was like by golly I’m not taking 500 off this hospital for volume than that’s fine I’ll take 12k and he can can look in the mirror and run his ego for not discounting for volume lol

Let me give another example? You bid a house with 20 double hungs. They are all over the place, 2 on a deck where you need a ladder, 3 behind a huge bush, 1 behind a shed, 4 on a front roof etc. I bid 20 double hungs on another house at a discounted price because 10 of them are all 3 feet apart with no obstacles in the front and 10 are in the back yard 3 feet apart with no obstacles. Guess what we are both cleaning 20 double hungs but because of obstacles you have more work and I have less. Would you all argue that mine take the same amount of work because 20 double hungs are 20 double hungs? No volume is a factor you all are criticizing! It’s a factor just like, bushes, furniture, how dirty they are, accessibility etc. I take ALL factors into pricing and guess what my per pane price increases when I go to a job and there’s not much work for me because I need something to show up for. With all due respect it sounds like you all think charging $16.00 for a 2 pane window has to be the case on every job and volume doesn’t take time off. Wrong, volume is a factor just like all the other things listed.

This is a job I did? Do you really think if you show up and clean this your going to lose money if you don’t charge your exact per pane as if there was 15 windows. I’ll bid this lower all day long while you over bid and have to pack your shit up all day and lose money driving all over the place. Not that complicated guys! High volume does increase profits and if you don’t get it then you don’t get it.

Oh, sorry… I get it now… this isnt an “announced discount.”
= The customer may not even actually know they got one.

• It’s dropping the price compared to a normal bid, because you will spend more time in one place.

• Sorry about that, Im kind of slow sometimes. lol

1 Like

Why do people try to route their businesses? The answer is because you make more money when you can continuously work than travel to new jobs. Your only making money when your on the glass, high volume allows you to stay on the glass? True or false? Are you making money greeting the customer, driving to the next job, setting up your system.

Your comparing commercial and residential lol :joy:

2 Likes