Do you care about your employees

So you made $2000 today. Good job. Got me beat…

No company made 2k. I get paid by the hr. I could see the new guy was trying to work faster than me so I kicked in to over drive and cleaned 15 windows for every 6 he did.

I’m not sure what all the animosity is toward the OP, but to answer the original question (“do you care about your employees?”), my answer is this:

the only thing I care more about than my employees are my customers (at least, the good customers who deserve to be cared about.)

the welfare and happiness of my employees is one of the top two or three things i think about constantly and actually lose sleep over. if they aren’t satisfied, don’t feel appreciated, feel under compensated or limited in opportunity, then I am failing as a leader and an owner. and I take that very seriously.

So here are some things I try to do to strengthen the bond I have with my people:

• during performance reviews, we spend more time talking about suggestions and concerns they may have to strengthen the business than we do about what they may or may not be doing well.
  • i try to be as generous as possible on every occasion
  • i send random texts stating my genuine appreciation for their hard work
  • when there’s a problem at a job I do my best to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are gathered.
  • when it’s time to provide constructive criticism, i always couple it with sincere commendation
  • i try really hard to approach every day with an open mind and don’t assume that just because i have the most experience, then i must automatically have all the answers.
  • i defer decision making to each employee wherever possible, even if i suspect that they may not make the same choice i would. and then, if there’s space for a teaching moment i’ll try to seize it in a positive and encouraging way.
  • i routinely ask each individual how they feel about the job, the company and their personal situation within the company
  • i speak positively about my crew every chance i get, even to people who don’t know them

those are just a few things off the top of my head. but i hope that helps you see what a boss who really really cares about his people thinks about every day.

In my last business I had an employee that was a single father trying his best and worked hard so I gave him 750 cash and his check to help him buy a car. He later left cause he need more hours than I could provide. But he worked for me when he could. He thanked me for helping him get a car that saved him from becoming homless. We are still friends to this day and said he would come work for me again when I go solo.

I want to use my business to create opportunities for my employees even if that means they will leave. Or reward them with things even if that means less money in my pocket

It might sound crazy but I would like to model my company culture like zappos after reading delivering happiness, by tony hsieh

I might be a high school dropout slacker but I know how to add. $2 per pane at a 1000 panes is 2 g’s. That’s what I would pull on a 1000 panes… Also, I’m fast but to ring a 1000 in one day might be embellishing a little…

Lake sate cleaning is muy beuno… Leave it to Caleb to have the perfect answer… Listen to him…

I’m assuming that is (indirectly) directed at me.
Since I seem to be the one who’s most aggressive towards the OP.

Sorry. I don’t like people who rip people off. Period.
Regardless of what they think of them.

Hold on.

Oh.
Wait…
What’s this…?

A nice ReachIt waterfed pole.

• I could get $50 bucks for this at the pawn shop…and the boss is an asshole.
  • he deserves it.

Eff em. He’ll understand…

Maybe an over estimation. But we banged out 4, single level business park buildings all next to each other
It was 2k worth of work.

Good, thanks for clearing that up. I like to be on the same page as the guys I’m working with…

I’ll give you 51.

But maybe I missed something (and I’m waaay to lazy tonight to go back and check) but I thought the OP was about people on his crew that were slacking, not necessarily HIM. I assumed he was a good worker working around a bunch of monkeys flinging poo at the boss.

Bosses suck. Either be one or be bossed by one… I’ll choose the first option…

Oh I’m sorry there’s bosses in the house. My bad.:wink:

sorry J, not meant to be a jab at you personally. you know you’re my boy, even though you avoid exposing your true identity even to a fellow D-towner :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with Jared’s take. i guess i just never got the feeling when reading through the thread that the OP was mailing it in because the boss sucked. in fact it appears to me to be the opposite. he’s busting his tail regardless of the poor management, and merely commenting on the poor behavior of his colleagues. and also thinking out loud about how things might be different if he worked for a different, more personable outfit, or what life might be like if the roles were reversed and he were in the driver’s seat. nothing wrong with that.

that’s a fail. i would rather be this guy and have a boss than be you and be the boss. :stuck_out_tongue:

Everybody can’t be you caleb

false. for only two payments of $1499 i can teach you to be me in just two short sessions. unlimited profit awaits you!

Yeah not into pyramid schemes man… All you…

what if i promise you’ll be near the TOP of the pyramid (in your region…based on your recruiting numbers…if you hit your quota…and trigger all bonus parameters…)

Humm, [MENTION=1736]JfromtheD[/MENTION] has a package where it’s $9.99 + a case of Bud. I have to provide my own glock but that’s not a problem. I even get my picture taken:

Can I upgrade later to the Caleb package? I should be able to take the home invasion and car jacking skills that I learned to be able to pay for the upgrade…