Fell off a roof, ankles broken no window cleaning for 4 months... advice?

Wait for the unveiling tomorrow :slight_smile:

sorry to hear that brother. I wish you a fast recovery. Bummer.

OK bud, so are we! :slight_smile:

Hang in there, we’re all root’n for ya!

Waiting for the unveiling Brother…Hoping all is well with you !

Dange

It happens so fast…I am glad you are alive and wish the best for you.

Heal quick!

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Glad your alive. Maybe time to grab one of these. Looks like it can do roof work also.

Lol- Redneck wheelchair. Where’s the mudflaps and beer cooler?

[B][COLOR=“#a0522d”][SIZE=“5”]Ray…Dangerous…

COOL…[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Im already scooting around on a walker “like the old people one with tennis balls on it” but mine has wheels. I’ve found a independent contractor that will work for 15 an hour but I need to get my worker legite. My wife is having a meeting with a company called “one source” where they take care of everything for you for 3 employees at 230 a month. Im not sure if that includes workers comp and insurance though. If it does then im gonna go that route. I have a workers comp policy because of a big job that required me to have it, but if i dont have to pay for it id much rather not. Any advice?

Once again guys thanks for the support. It’s nice to come on here and here people rooting for you. I’m in very good spirits and have already started making sales calls :slight_smile: Think i’ve landed one commercial job already. Also might land a job that needs a 60 ft WFP will be picking that up from WCR thank you very much!

So sry man, now you can work on your business instead of in it! I hope you recover quickly!

I fell of my extension ladder yesterday, I was on the 4th rung up, I was carrying something up the ladder, and it was cold and wet and had gloves on, I went to grab a rung to pull my self up, I thought I had a good grip and slipped off, falling backwards, with what little leverage I had left I jumped off and landed on my feet, could have beesn so much worse…Scared straight…i was complacent and should have been paying attention

guess you dont really think how dangerous this job is until you have a close call. This gives me all the more reason to want more commercial jobs, where you can anchor in or use lift, or drop. I would rather drop on a rope than climb a ladder.

Bubbakowski…I will be praying for you and a speedy recovery…Ive had my own trials and tribulations the last six months…As many know I shattered a vertabrae in Oct 2010 and I am now back to work in limited capacity. I was in the hospital for six weeks, 2 surgeries, the first to put 2 titanium rods in my back to fuse me from L2 to T12 and the second because I got an infection from the first surgery. I also had to wear a shoulder to pelvis brace for 12 weeks and was on IV antibiotis for that infection for another 12 weeks. Doctors told me that “IF” I walked aagin that I would be have to use forearm crutches and I would walk like a drunken sailor with a pegleg! Well its been six months now and Im walking fine no cane or anything!
Your recovery is up to you! Take all the physical therapy that your insurance will pay for and put your recovery in your own hands.I think the Doctor’s sell you on a low expectation or outcome because not everyone is so lucky.
When I was in the Hospital Rehab Unit I met lots of other people who were not as fortunate as I. One guy was cleaning his own gutters by laying down on his belly and crawling down to them on the roof. He went head first off his roof and hit a fence. broke his neck, back, and skull. I could tell stories from there for days about men and women who were less furtunate.Myself I was temporarily paralyzed from the spinal cord injury and will still have pain for the rest of my life.

My point of writing all this in response?
SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!
Nick

Yeah you gotta see the bright side of things. Im happy that your not walking like a drunken peg leg sailor. I got super lucky being all i got is a busted ankle. No back issues or anything. I have been getting few flashbacks of falling though. oh well, now that it’s in my mind it will always be at the forefront.

Tasty! Those big lumps are fracture blisters… nasty stuff.

I’m blown away from all the stories on this thread. Joe I hope you start feeling better soon! We have been fortunate that we haven’t had any serious accidents since we have been in business but this thread lit a fire under me to make a better effort to preach safety to my people and to get my business even less reliant on me or any one individual. Thanks to all for the reminders! My prayers go out to all of you who are hurt, that you heal up and get back to life as normal soon!

This thread, in conjunction with the news about Simon passing away, has made me think about ways to minimize ladder and roof time as much as possible. In other words, it’s made me take a hard look at incorporating a WFP into my arsenal.

I’ve resisted this for a long time, but as a one-man band, if I do fall- I have no employees to lean on. With 3 small children at home, getting hurt simply isn’t an option. And obviously, neither is getting killed.

A WFP is looking a whole lot better, now that I am looking at it from a safety perspective, whereas in the past, I had allways looked at it more as a time saver.

I still have the flashbacks but not as often…used to have them every day…And nightmares…replaying the events of the day…A few weeks ago I went and visited the building I fell off of and it really helped me face my demons and Ive slept like a baby since!

Me too. Wife, 3 kids and I’m a 1 man band. This thread is very heavy and sobering. I’m terribly sorry this happened to you but I am grateful for the “wake-up call”. I too am more serious about WFP after reading this. Be sure and love on your wife a lot. Sounds like you have a good one. Remember “All things work together for good”. The Lord had a reason for your fall off the roof. My family and I will try to remember you tonight in our prayer together.

Get well soon Joe - that picture is a real reminder to anyone what could happen.

I’ve already got a big residential esti on monday and cleaning on Tuesday. I’ll be coordinating my guys from my command center (wheelchair). I can barley put my foot down to use walker