What do you think of this ladder set up?

Damage Liability Waiver.docx (79.7 KB)

Seems like it would depend on your base. Can you pull the ladder away from the window and let it go and it drops back to the original position? I would prefer an extension ladder with a set off just below the frame so that I can reach both panes without the ladder blocking me. If the extension ladder won’t reach I would use the WFP (and might use that anyway).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Sketchy, I’m not a fan of stack ladders personally

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Mike, what don’t you like about the sectional ladders? I’m considering making a big investment (for me) in one because so many people swear by them, and I have had a few situations where it seemed like it would be a good option to have.

Looks good to me. Done its 1000s of times like this. Been using sectionals pretty exclusively for over 10 years now.

Don’t hesitate on them as an investment you won’t regret it.

Robbie Hanson
A Glass Act Window Cleaning
Henderson, NV
www aglassactlv.com

Thanks Robbie. What do you do when you need more height than the sectionals provide, or, as it looks from the picture, your ladder is blocking access to part of the pane?

It only looks like the pane is blocked in the picture. I’m right handed. Trust me it’s perfect.

I have a 32’ extension if the job requires it although I don’t carry it with me.

I’ll use 5 six foot sections together at times. Kinda flexy but you get used to it.

In the pic it’s not blocking the window. Your squeegee channel is pretty thin so it’s fits behind the ladder well. The only problem I run into with the ladder in that position sometimes is if there is a screen on the window then it’s sometimes a pain to get the screen out from under the ladder.

Robbie Hanson
Henderson, NV
www aglassactlv.com

I’ve been taking my screens off the windows from the inside ever since I started using my WFP on almost every job. I clean them inside as well most of the time.

I learned ladder work on extension ladders, it feels safe and it’s what I know best. A 24’ extension ladder and standoff are great, sometimes I can hit 3 windows with one ladder placement. (I know you can put a standoff on sectionals, but my whole 24’ ladder was a $250 investment instead of $700-800 investment)

When I did work on a sectional ladder it was used and abused, I just didn’t feel safe at 5 sections. I didn’t mind it at 3 sections, 5 was a little iffy for me.

Plenty people use them, I would love to have them for indoor work. But that’s a large investment for still starting up.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Lots of guys love extension ladders. I was just wondering if that ladder set in the OP with the tip resting on only one ladder rail looked scetchy to anybody?

Here’s today’s job

Robbie Hanson
Henderson, NV
www aglassactlv.com

Today’s job.

Mike are those phone/cable lines on the left or power lines?

Stephen: Cable/phone lines. The ones that could kill me are near another window. How close is to close?

If those were electrical wires I would place ladder on other side of the window, a good window cleaner can use any hand to squeegee :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have seen the light!

I just realized in those pictures the benefit of placing the sectional diagonally on the frame allowing the cleaner to be centered to the window and being able to reach all 4 corners. I constantly come across high windows where i place my extension ladder next to it and cant reach the top corner of the other side when trying to wipe the frames.

The light has been turned off!

how are u gonna wipe the frames? looks like u gonna have to skip where the sectional ladder rests on the frame.

I prefer to use stabilzers most of the time, although in instances taking off the stabilizers can get you into tighter spots / better access to window. I think it’s safer to as a rule of thumb never have to lean back to clean a window. Without stabilizers I will clean a window that is below me or besides me, but never right above - the tendency to accidentally lean too far back will eventually catch up to you.

With the sectional, you can clean windows below and to the sides of the ladder with less intereference from the ladder - however I think the practice of leaning the sectional into the window like that came from a time when windows frames were made of stout brick or wood. Leaning a sectional on a vinyl windows frame doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

My job today, I was using a 97p standoff. As you can see I can do the top set of windows, then drop the ladder down below the bottom set and clean them. With a sectional you might be able to clean the entire set with one ladder placement.

Me, I don’t mind hopping up and down ladders. Depends on your preference.

Jesse: I’d need more than one ladder set with a sectional.

The ones that Stephen (I think) are referring to in the picture are electric feeds to the building, but I don’t see anything wrong with your set, if you stacked straight up in place. However, if it was me and I lost control or balance. I would let go and run like hell. How close is to close?