What is your Residential Screen Cleaning Process?

It is expensive but well worth it… if it had better results on the glass.

Screen magic leaves a residue on the glass similar to caulk. As long as speedy screen doesn’t do it I will use it.

This is case by case, but I use a drop and my strip washer to wet the screen next to each window and a towel to remove the water and wipe the frames. On outside uppers, I do the same on a ladder, and use a lanyard girth-hitched to a clip to hold it in place while I clean the window. If they’re bad, I bring them down and dry brush, followed by a separate bucket and strip washer with less soap to wash and bath towel to wipe.

I am always looking for quick and efficient ways to do anything and do it better. Like your PVC easel. I have something similar that bolts to the base of my sectional ladder.

Have you ever considered putting your Techs ( employees ) in a more professional attire. Khakis and a Polo ?
The T-shirt w/ sleeves rolled up and old baggy jeans would drive me nuts if I found one of my guys like that. Just an observation. I realize how the WCR forum is and guys will defend appearance saying it has nothing to do with integrity, work ethic, or ability, but I am always looking for that edge in the whole spectrum of customer service and professionalism.
Hope your year is prosperous !

1 Like

I don’t think you were the only one thinking it. Personally, I wouldn’t have posted that picture on a business FB page. People judge by what they see.

I’m sure Kyle is ‘no worse for wear’ when it comes to attracting customers, but I wouldn’t want to create any potential barriers against people wanting to contact my business. Jmho :confused:

1 Like

@WDW @Infinity That was from 2 years ago. We now have polyester polo’s that are embroidered. That employee was a college kid who worked part time during busy times.

big fan of the screen washers here. Own 2.

While not answering the OP I will say

1. Never been a fan of “tapping” the screen dry, too many bad corners
    1a) I can not control an employee’s “tap” or judgement
  2. We washed with strip washers, outside the home, for many years. Too easy to miss a quandrant or just do a lack luster job. Also, time consuming and eats up dry rags
  3. With a washer it is virtually idiot proof. Think we picked one up 2 years ago after I checked on a job and was let down by how they looked.
  4. Side benefit of a screen washer, grabs attention from the sweet ladies walking by that we all say “hello” to, clients dig it. I’ve had clients call their friends and have them come watch us clean screens.
1 Like

@DaveYogi What are the downsides to using a screen washer?
Any problems with efficiency? Quality? etc?
I did a demo on an IPC Eagle screen washer several years ago with Steve Blyth from JRC when they came out. I liked it, but the $800.00 price tag was a little high.

I got this idea from steve o on youtube, we usually have a 3500 psi pressure washer with us in the warm months… he told me thats what they use for screens. Works great if you have one with you. Wouldnt take it out for every job though, only if they have a lot of screens. Other than that we collect them all take them out side and use our strip washer and a screen brush if needed to clean them.

2 Likes

count the extra walking steps bringing everything to the same location (UPS efficiency style)

but I guess other areas are dealing with way more dirt

unless its a filthy first time, speaking about regular charcoal colored fabric exterior screens, a screen washer is way overkill

1 Like

Cons…to be frank I do not think about them cause the benefits out weight them. But I love this game, let’s be a cranky old fart and complain about everything.

It costs money!
It take up room!
Use’s more water (can’t think of a complaint about this yet but I am swaying a hammach in Jamaica in a rain storm)
A few tiny little parts have fallen off

I am a straight sale men type of guy, one product, one price tis what it tis. I know a few who use it to upsell the cost of cleaning a screen by 40% - badasses

2 Likes

it appears the rum is flowing freely:slightly_smiling:

1 Like

rum or not, that’s a lot of walking taking ething to one location outside, put on yer fitbit and check it out lol

Before our screen washer we still took all the screen outside, and cleaned them near the front door.

Now we typically have the unit connected the water supply by the garage, which is by the front door. So sure it adds steps.

My peace of mind is more valuable than the amount of steps the guys take. Less worries, less callbacks, impressed clients; I am “happy”

4 Likes

Do you use soap with it or just water

Kind of off topic my brother help me on a job (he is not a window cleaner) he hooked up my di unit to the screen washer. I was mad but the screens looked cleaner than just tap water

1 Like

Screen washer is cool, but it doesn’t clean it well enough. Needs more aggressive bristles, and I thought about modding it but a PW does a much better, and quicker job by far.

I’ve mounted one up in the new van all plumbed in to be fed by the same source line as my wfp - just a turn of a valve. PW reel setup all for this as well, takes 30 seconds to set up and screens are done in no time. Also have it setup to feed my PW with DI water to quickly clean my vehicles :wink:

5 Likes

depending on the job and manpower i often use my wfp to do the screens.and yes it does better than tap water that is whole concept of how it cleans windows.

2 Likes

I think any additional trucks we add in the future we are going to start equipping with screen washers. They dont take up much room in the truck either.